WB-06 Hefeweizen taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slacker1

Reaction score
I fermented a kit wheat with WB-06. I tried noticing clove and banana, but what stands out is a licorice flavor. Am I confusing flavors, or does this yeast yield a different note?

WB-06 should DEFINITELY give you the banana and clove esters. I've done a handful of Hefe's with it and had outstanding flavors, but none were of licorice. I would have dumped 5 gallons if I tasted licorice (I hate locorice lol). What were your ferm temps and time?

Ferm temp 68F, 4 weeks in primary, 2 week bottle carbing. Maybe it's just raw, but my understanding is that hefes should be drunk young.

BTW, I actually like licorice, especially the salted kind from Dutch stores.

I just used WB 06 for the first time on a wheat-rye beer with 1.053 OG and 1.003 FG... 3 weeks in the primary and 10 days in the bottle, i'm not getting any banana. Instead, i'm getting a spicy + bitter after taste that may be from the 2# of rye malt...but not what I was going for.

Hoping it will get better in the next 10 days.

Unibrow said:
I just used WB 06 for the first time on a wheat-rye beer with 1.053 OG and 1.003 FG... 3 weeks in the primary and 10 days in the bottle, i'm not getting any banana. Instead, i'm getting a spicy + bitter after taste that may be from the 2# of rye malt...but not what I was going for.

Hoping it will get better in the next 10 days.

2# of rye will definitely give you the peppery spice you're getting!

Latest posts

Back