Ways to improve an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jruffatto

Reaction score
I just opened a bottle of my very first batch, a Brewer's Best IPA. Poured a great head on the beer, color looks good, not much aroma though and the flavor is good but I know it could be better. I've heard people talking about continuous dry-hopping...what can I do to improve the IPA and give it more of that citrusy smell/flavor that you find in some IPA?

more late hops and heavy dry hopping. overload your hops with additions 20-0 minutes. centennial, simcoe, chinook, cascade, columbus, etc. will all give you good american IPA characteristics.

My 2nd batch ever was the BB IPA kit. IIRC it uses cascade and columbus hops, right? Just not very much of them. In the future, I would add an extra ounce or two and do what android suggested. Keep the ingriedint list and in the future, try to piece together your own and use the BB list as a starting out point.

Dry hoping is only an aroma addition. 1 once for 9 days in the secondary works great for aroma.

more late hops and heavy dry hopping. overload your hops with additions 20-0 minutes. centennial, simcoe, chinook, cascade, columbus, etc. will all give you good american IPA characteristics.

I guess my next question would be, what is dry hopping?

the addition of hops towards the end or after fermentation to add hop aroma to the beer.

OK, so you add hops at the end, but what about the sterilization process? Since it's alcohol at that point, does it not really matter if you add some hops to it?

I can't even count how many beers I've dry hopped. Not once have I sanitized them. Not once had I had an infection from dry hopping.

When I said 'towards the end', I meant towards the end of fermentation or after. Just clearing that up.

OK, so you add hops at the end, but what about the sterilization process? Since it's alcohol at that point, does it not really matter if you add some hops to it?

hops are naturally antimicrobial. IPA gets there name from the tradeships going to india which shipped the beer in hot weather over long periods. Hops were added as a preservative so that they would stay good on the long journeys and not for flavor.

What recipe did you brew with that your looking for help on?

All you need to do is look up the all amarillo recipe in the recipe section and make it....Outstanding recipe!

hops are naturally antimicrobial. IPA gets there name from the tradeships going to india which shipped the beer in hot weather over long periods. Hops were added as a preservative so that they would stay good on the long journeys and not for flavor.

What recipe did you brew with that your looking for help on?

I did the IPA from the Brewer's Best kit...my first ever. I just think it could use a little more so next time I'll be dry hopping. Thanks for the info all...coincidentally, I've got a Kolsch in a secondary right now, it's about a week from brewing. any dry hop tips for that? I assume I can use pellet hops?

Kolsch dont normally get dru hopped...you can use both whole hops or pellets for dry hopping although whole hops soak up more liquid.

Back