wayne transfer pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would give the company a call and ask them if the pump is ok to use with potable water and what temps its good for. No sense in ruining a good pump or a batch of brew! :D

-Walter

good idea! i probably should have thought of that. trying to figure out my christmas list. if the wayne doesnt fit the bill ill be asking for two march pumps instead of one. hoping i can use what i already have

Without detailed research into that model, those transfer pumps are generally not seal less and therefore are not rated for food processing. I would avoid using it, but who knows. Talking to the manufacturer is the smartest path.

here is what wayne said:

"No, this pump will not handle liquids over 120Deg. Fahrenheit. In addition because of general design you may get bits of rubber from the impeller in the discharge."

Good to know, great research! Another point is the volume: way too fast for sparge and not being a mag pump, you wouldn't be able to throttle it.

Good to know, great research! Another point is the volume: way too fast for sparge and not being a mag pump, you wouldn't be able to throttle it.

You "could" throttle it if you wanted to get creative. It would involve a recirc loop from the outlet back to the inlet of the pump with another valve. To throttle it you would first start with the pump flooded, discharge valve closed, and recirc valve open. Then you start opening the discharge valve to the flow rate you want. If you wanted full flow then open the discharge valve fully and close off the recirc valve. It just adds more plumbing to the system and more parts to make sure are cleaned out properly....most times not worth the extra efforts.

-Walter

You "could" throttle it if you wanted to get creative. It would involve a recirc loop from the outlet back to the inlet of the pump with another valve. To throttle it you would first start with the pump flooded, discharge valve closed, and recirc valve open. Then you start opening the discharge valve to the flow rate you want. If you wanted full flow then open the discharge valve fully and close off the recirc valve. It just adds more plumbing to the system and more parts to make sure are cleaned out properly....most times not worth the extra efforts.

-Walter

Wow...
Does the March Pump have that inside that tiny pump thingy on the front? ;)

Wow...
Does the March Pump have that inside that tiny pump thingy on the front? ;)

LOL....not quite :D the advantage a mag-drive has over a "positive displacement" pump such as that Wayne mentioned above is the sloppy clearances inside our pump head. We need them due to the fact the impeller actually floats inside the pump head and can move laterally forwards and backwards on the shaft it spins on. When you choke off our pump to zero output, it will build pressure but since there is so much clearance between the blades and the pump body it just spins the liquid inside. It builds the pressure from the centrifugal properties of the liquid being whipped to the outside of the impeller blades as it spins.
On a positive displacement pump the tolerances are so close the fluid has no where to go and you build great pressures inside....that's when you start blowing out shaft seals or in the case of a rubber vein impeller you can bend the blades back on themselves.

Every pump pump has an Achilles heel, ours is that they don't make much pressure...just volume. Others you have to worry about blowing out seals due to too much pressure, or wearing out shaft seals, overloading the motors etc...

-Walter

Back