Waxy residue on top of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reibrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Sad news, I think I have an infection. Beer was in the primary for a couple weeks, noticed a waxy residue floating on top. In the bottle there is stuff forming on the top, also waxy. They've only been in the bottle 10 days or so, I cracked one the other night and it tasted slightly astringenty, and the waxy stuff was on top of my beer. Not pleasant. I know I didn't sanitize my lid properly, was the likely culprit. Will it get better?

i did a little more reading, looks like it might just be secondary krausen im noticing

Secondary krausen? Doesn't sound like it.

Waxy sounds like a bad thing. Krasuen is ugly, but it's usually foamy, or gunky. Not waxy.

If you are getting actual krausen in your bottles, that is bad for a different reason - indicates fermentartion is going on (aka wasn't done when you bottled), which means that you could be in for bottle bombs.

Back