Waxing wine bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike2026417

Reaction score
So I've got a batch of dandelion wine that ill be wanting to bottle pretty soon. I've collected enough bottles, and I thought that it would look neat to put some wax over the tops. But I've also read that for wine to age, it actually sucks air in through the cork somehow. I don't want to ruin the wine by preventing it from aging. Does anybody have any thoughts on the subject? Thanks

I don't have any thoughts as far as aging, but I would be concerned with cleanup.

Also, a lot of folks don't realize that to uncork a waxed bottle, you treat it as a normal bottle. Breaking the wax by pulling the cork out. I'm not saying it in regards to you, but to anyone you gift it to if you so choose. (I have a hard time not giving all my drinkables away!) I have seen folks get wax in the wine because of wax caps.

They do add class though! But, why not the shrinkable covers?

if your going to do something like this use shrink wrap like StoneArcher said. I am fairly confident that wax has no real purpose when it comes to sealing the wine bottle up.. Air will get to a very small portion of the wine because it does leak through the cork but only the wine that is in direct contact with the cork will be oxidized. The rest remains oxygen free. The cork has to be wet to work properly or all of the wine will eventually oxidize. That is why wine bottles with real corks are laid on there sides.

I waxed half of the bottles from one of my earliest batches. The one or two I saved of each (the waxed ones were gifts) didn't seem to make a difference, but I can say that the waxed tops make a nice touch to personalize the bottles just a little bit more.

Back