Wax seal experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
I like the wax seal on some bottles, so when I saw my LHBS owner unpacking this 'holiday' arrival I was about to drop it in the cart. Then he told me a pack was $7.50. I'm not a cheapskate, but I have an aversion to paying for things when I know the cost is ~100X what it is to make the product. So I decided to wait and think about it. Later in the week at my SWMBO's grandmothers house I saw her Gulf Wax stash and realized that it might work well. I asked her if you can color it, and she said people just melt crayons into it to get color. The wax also dries quite hard, which I like and which the LHBS stuff does not(he even mentioned it). The best part, cost: ~$1.50. I don't like not giving him the business, but I spend a lot there and my parents spent ~$600 Thanksgiving week on stuff for me.

So I'll give it a try this week and post some pics. I want to try it on bottles I cap, and more importantly bottles I cork.

Side note: my grandmother in-law does the old-school melt wax directly on the top of the hot jelly she makes. The wax floats to the top of the jelly, dries, and provides a protectant layer over the jelly. Pretty cool stuff, and she keeps us in AWESOME jelly/jam all year.

I'd be interested in hearing how it works. I've used the bottle wax from my LHBS...
Wedding Beers.jpeg
and you are right, it is quite expensive.

The Gulf wax is alot more brittle and will crack/scratch much more easily but it should work.

I think Gulf Wax is one of the brands of food grade parafin I have used previously - in cooking. Why not? Put it in a double boiler, throw a crayon in there, absolutely.

I have opened quite a few bottles of Maker's Mark bourbon, never have seen those little peel a rip in the wax string dealies in a wee box next to the wax selection. Screw it. Melt, dip, harden, open, post. I am wanting to do this to my 08-08-018 RIS so I can store some a good long while.

SuperiorBrew said:
The Gulf wax is alot more brittle and will crack/scratch much more easily but it should work.

Sounds like you know you're stuff(or SWMBO does). I know its a much harder wax, but I didn't think its brittleness would be a problem. To get it off the top of the jelly you have to crack it quite hard with a spoon, or push it hard to get it to dislodge. However, it may not be as thick on the bottles as it is on the top of the jelly. Maybe the crayons will soften it up a bit, similar to Yuri's suggestion. Also, they're not going to go through hell and back, so if they are a little brittle it may not be a problem. I'll check out the site too, thanks all.

One month later...:rolleyes: I did it tonight. It looks good, not as nice as Brewtopia's though(mine are not shiny). Three quarters of a red crayon made one 'stick' of the Gulf Wax(parafin) bright red, I added too much black by accident so it turned burgundy. One 'stick' of the wax is 1/4 of the whole box, so I've got a lot left. I heated it, leaned the pan and dipped the bottles. It only leaves a thin layer, so I had to dip them maybe ~20 times or so. It only takes a few seconds to cool, then back into the pan, and repeat. The 3/4 of the crayon really softened the wax, I won't have any problem cracking these open. Cleaning is another story.....
I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. These were only a test batch, but they turned out well enough to give it another shot.

Cleaning in the dishwasher should be easy unless you are lacking a dishwasher. I have 3 dishwashers here one electic, one tall and blonde, and one that will do it or take his 19 year old backside out for good......

DRAGGER.....

landhoney said:
Sounds like you know you're stuff(or SWMBO does)

We both do because thats what we do for a living www.bittercreek.com
I could add a bottle wax to one of our wax lines and sell it very reasonably but unless your were buying candle making stuff (Yuri ;) ) the shipping would make it cost prohibitive.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
You will be remembered when I but the gf a candle making set up.

Let me know when your ready, I'll hook you up right :)

Maybe I need a add HB supplies, might make a good combo, beer supplies for the guys and candle/soap stuff for the SWMBO's

Wouldn't that be cool? My SWMBO and I run an online business, too:

[shameless plug]

http://www.reconstructinghistory.com

[/shameless plug]

I had the bright idea to add supplies to our product line several years ago, and was rather brusquely rebuffed by the major wholesale suppliers, like LD Carlson and Crosby/Baker. To a man, they require a brick-and-mortar store before they'll sell to you.

I did not investigate going direct to the manufacturers - Briess, Muntons, Hopunion, etc. - perhaps the manufacturers have different rules. One also imagines they require a rather massive purchase of each product.

Cheers,

Bob

Here they are, a couple at least:
DSC_00030001_2.JPG
I wish they were shiny, I might look into some other options for extra-extra-special batches.

SuperiorBrew said:
Let me know when your ready, I'll hook you up right :)

Maybe I need a add HB supplies, might make a good combo, beer supplies for the guys and candle/soap stuff for the SWMBO's

I have seen hop soap... never a hop candle. Could be interesting.

Back