Wax Dipping Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I was just at the store and noticed that Rogue Brewery has a beer that they dipped the bottle, not the seal, into wax. Now, I personally love the idea of canned micro brew and think that since canning isn't really usable in homebrew, what are other ways of limiting light to the beer. I am not talking as much about storage, as I am taking the beer to a party, park or other activity.

Has anyone done anything of this sort? I figure just to stick a bottle into a "vat" of wax and then let it dry, and viola! Instant light proofing of a bottle.

or spray paint? Waxing a whole bottle seems like a waste of time and wax.

If it is in an amber bottle, does it have to be protected for the amount of time you are going to be out in the light?

If you are going to a party in the park, just use a brown paper bag.

I have bought super fancy olive oil that was wrapped in a gold coloured aluminum foil.

So wrap your bottles in aluminum foil - for that space age look.
Anyways its less messy than wax.

Or try the timeless brown paper bag - a classic at any sporting event or public park.

Waxing Bourbon bottles or whatever Im sure is just for looks...I've wax potted a pickup and what that does is help control feedback. I think it would just be a big mess, especially if you plan on reusing the bottle.

You can also get the aluminum bottles. Someone tried to find a reseller, but I'm not sure if they ever did.

I always thought about some sort of paint or plastic dip to do a black bottle. I wanted to do black bottles with plain white sponged letters or something that looked utilitarian and non beverage. Like the beer was some sort of acid that shouldnt be drank. I dont see a point in coatings just to keep light out. Its easy enough to store it in a box then only keep it in the fridge for a short amount of time.

I have a friend who works at a truck accessory store. They do pickup bed lining. He made me 2 cases of bottles covered in the liner material. They are really hard to break and completely light proof.

Back