Wax Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat_Grant

Reaction score
I currently live in China and have had to get pretty creative in terms of air locks- for my latest airlock i cut the top of a water jug and cemented it to the carboy rim and stopper with regular wax (by first melting it and then sculpting it to the sides like clay). anyway, a small piece of wax accidentally fell into the beer...... Does anyone know for sure if wax should mess up beer? does anyone know what wax is exactly made of????????

Well if its beeswax you may be ok. And even petroleum wax may not do anything ether its in gum and cheese wax. The only concern I have is the bugs it took with it into your beer. But wax does have oils in it so it may mess with you head retention. but I'm not sure never had wax in my beer. Try to mind your own beeswax next time (sorry couldn't resist)

You could sanitize a spoon and scoop it out. Or if it sunk, you can just leave it in the fermenter when you rack to the bottling bucket or keg.

If you don't have an airlock, you can just take a piece of tin foil, sanitize it and loosely drape it over the opening. The tin foil will allow excess CO2 to escape and keep air-borne bacteria from getting in.

Before I had an airlock I just used a blow off tube setup it work untell I got one. They don't have airlock in china.

Back