Watery/Flat Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhavl219

Reaction score
I started making wine about a year ago. The recipes I have been using are mainly from fresh fruit or fruit juice. If I understand the process correctly, I transfer the wine from the primary fermenter (plastic pail) to a glass carboy when the fermentation process has stopped. Every two months I transfer the wine into a clean glass carboy. There is always a little bit of the wine that isn't transferred over because of the lees/gunk at the bottom of the fermenter/carboy. I top the carboy up with water so there isn't too much head space which can create oxidization. The problem I am having, is that a lot of the wine is tasting really flat and watery. Is it because I am adding the water every two months? Should I not be adding water to top it up? Is there something else that could be going on?

Water is not really the best thing to top up with, it would be better to top up with a similar wine.
But I have to ask, why are you keeping the wine, especially a fruit wine, in a carboy so long and not bottling it?
Also, are you adding any K-meta? should be added every other time you rack, after fermentation if you are going to bulk age.
If you are just trying to clear it up have you considered a clearifier? I use Sparkaloid, works really well.
PS: the K-meta will help reduce the chance of oxidation.

Are you adding things like tannin or acid blend? Oaking? Are you building the dilution of water into the recipe? I often make a 5.75 gallon batch, just to have extra wine in a growler to top up with.

If the recipe is lacking, the wine will be lacking- but it's always best to top up with a similar wine.

If you don't have a similar wine to use. I ve used the fruit juice I based my wine from. But it will fire up the fermentation again till the yeast use up the extra added sugar.

If you're just topping it off a little bit, it won't make a difference if you add water, of course it is always better to top off with the same wine or a similar commercial wine.
Is the wine that you are referring to a wine made from grapes or grape juice?
The first thing that I can think of when a wine is referred to as Flat or flabby\watery is that it is lacking a little acid, if the wine is a grape wine you would use Tartaric acid, if it is a fruit wine, as Yooper recommended, acid blend would be the acid that you'll need to use.
Do you have a way to check the acidity? If not, you'll need to do a little bench tests; the following is a great bench trial test that I've borrowed from The Valley Vintner, click here
obviously the amounts would be far less, but it gives you a real good example of how to run bench trials.

I hope that this helps.

Thank you for your responses. I guess, I should not be topping up with water.
menerdari: Please correct me if this is wrong, what I have read is that the wine is ready to be bottled when it is clear and it can sit for two months in a glass carboy with no sediment appearing on the bottom of the carboy. Should I be bottling it sooner? I do add a campden tablet as soon as the hydrometer measurements show fermentation has stopped and then every other time it is transferred to a secondary. I k-meta something different? I did use one recipe that called for sparkloid, I could try using it again.

yooper and pumpkinman2012-I have just been adding acid blend or tannin if the recipe calls for it. Should I add more if it tastes flat? There are three that I have going that are tasting flat: raspberry (made from fresh raspberries), pineapple (made from juice that I bought at the grocery store), and apple/cranberry (made from frozen juice concentrate I bought at the grocery store).

menerdari: Please correct me if this is wrong, what I have read is that the wine is ready to be bottled when it is clear and it can sit for two months in a glass carboy with no sediment appearing on the bottom of the carboy. Should I be bottling it sooner? I do add a campden tablet as soon as the hydrometer measurements show fermentation has stopped and then every other time it is transferred to a secondary. I k-meta something different? I did use one recipe that called for sparkloid, I could try using it again.

yooper and pumpkinman2012-I have just been adding acid blend or tannin if the recipe calls for it. Should I add more if it tastes flat? There are three that I have going that are tasting flat: raspberry (made from fresh raspberries), pineapple (made from juice that I bought at the grocery store), and apple/cranberry (made from frozen juice concentrate I bought at the grocery store).

Yes, my method is to also go at least 60 days in a 'new' vessel without any new lees falling, at a minimum, before bottling. I hate sediment and crud in my bottles, and feel that the wine is better if allowed to be completely clear and without any lees at all before bottling.

k-meta is potassium metabisulfite- the same thing as campden but in a powder form instead of a tablet form.

I use tannin and/or acid blend 'to taste' as sometimes fruit is far more acidic than other times, or blander. You could try pulling out a tiny sample of one of the bland (flat) tasting wines and add a tiny (VERY TINY!) pinch of tannin (stir it well, it does not like to dissolve!) and a tiny pinch of acid blend and see if it improves the flavor and mouthfeel. Or do several samples, and even try sweetening one to see if it's better off-dry, or even semi-sweet.

If you use sparkaloid it will clear sooner, not that you have to or even should, that is just what I do.60 days to clear naturally is fine but plan ahead and have something better to top up with. I figure the longer it sits around the more the chance that something bad can happen, and K-meta and campden are the same thing, potassium matabisulfite.

Back