Watery All Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTaster

Reaction score
Just made my second all grain, and it seems a bit watery? I forgot to take an OG reading off the start so efficiency may be a concern though I dont think so, I got 75% on my first batch.

The only other thing I can think of is that I used 2 row instead of pale malt this time. Would that be a critical diffrence?

Recipe:

8.5# 2 Row
2# Vienne
0.5# Crystal 45
0.5# Crystal 75

Carbonation can play a big role in the mouthfeel. Is it carbonated all the way?

No, Not at all. I just racked to secondary today, dry hopping on an oz of cascade. It tastes great but no mouthfeel, maybe thats it.

As for the temp question, I hit my temps right on, 155 for mash and 175 for sparge

In that case ask again in 6 weeks (2 in secondary, 4 in bottle) when the question is legitimite. Your beer is not supposed to be right at this point. Otherwise there would be no reason to wait.

It is like asking why your bread tastes doughy while the dough is still rising.

No, Not at all. I just racked to secondary today, dry hopping on an oz of cascade. It tastes great but no mouthfeel, maybe thats it.

Well there's your problem right there. Young, warm flat beer always tastes thin and watery, it's not because it's an allgrain batch. Once it's aged some and carbonated it'll be better.

FYI, pale malt and 2 row are the same thing.

I thought pale malt was a slight bit more converted? Either way, thanks for the reassurances guys!

Is 175f the temp of the water you used to sparge with, or the temp of the grains during sparging?

Temp of Sparge Water when i put it in. I never monitor sparge temp after i put water in. I do monitor Mash water after initial strike and at my first stir just to make certain its ok.

:mug:

I have had this happen recently. I had a belgian tripel that i wanted a little bit more mouthfeel and malt to it. I tried to make one like Panty Peeler Tripel from Midnight Sun brewing Co here in Anchorage. It was way thin and not malty enough as a green flat room temperature beer. But i chilled it and a month later the sharp boozy alcohol taste is gone and the malt stands out without overwhelming. I am so proud.

Temp of Sparge Water when i put it in. I never monitor sparge temp after i put water in. I do monitor Mash water after initial strike and at my first stir just to make certain its ok.

:mug:

Although it has nothing to do with "watery" beer, try upping your sparge water temp. It will help your efficiency out. I do split batch sparges on a 5.5 gallon batch and use 190F water. It will get you close to the 168f range.

Back