Watermelon Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitmo234

Reaction score
Just wanted to post that I picked up a Brewers Best Watermelon wheat, did that up, followed the directions to the T. To cool it off, I let it set in the carboy, with a stopper, on my deck overnight.

Let it ferment and sit for over a week. I bottled it a week ago and I couldnt stand it. I popped one open today (it foamed over, due to fermentation on-going for carbonation), but after all that.... its about the f@#$@% perfect beer.

I'm a big fan of Heffeweizen style beers. Lived in Germany for 5 years, and all I really drink is Franziskaner here at home. I thought the watermelon flavor would stick out but it doesnt.

This stuff is amazing. I cant wait to try again in a few weeks.

thank you, that is all. I will post pictures this Friday when I bring a friend over to do some blind sampling of 3 of my beers.

I made a watermelon hefe a few months ago. I pureed all the meat from a sugar baby watermelon & ran it through my fine mesh strainer twice. I used some 3 1/2C of the resulting juice in secondary. I could kind of taste it, but it seemed to need more juice. I carbed it to 2.8 Vco2. Here's what it looked like;

It had an "all natural" (no ingredients listed) watermelon concentrate. A very small bottle that you dumped in along with the priming sugar at bottling. If you tasted that it was horrible. once it mixed in it gave just a faint smell and taste of watermelon.

I'd prefer to go the real way as posted above though.

Next up is a Raspberry, and a grapefruit. I just had all my wisdom teeth yanked so once I come down off the pain killer high and recover a bit, I'll do some more brewing.

Oh, also, this was one of those partial grain kits. There was a brew bag with some grains that I had to steep for awhile, the boil with some extract.

I did this out on my back deck on a cold night while having a few drinks. It was wonderful

Next up is a Raspberry, and a grapefruit. I just had all my wisdom teeth yanked so once I come down off the pain killer high and recover a bit, I'll do some more brewing.

Raspberry makes an excellent fruit beer. I just started drinking a batch I brewed about 6 weeks ago. I used 3lbs of Raspberries added after the first week of primary in a 5 gallon batch of a standard American wheat beer. Let that sit for 3 more weeks and then bottled it. Delicious! I've done apple, pumpkin, blackberry and blueberry wheat beers, but raspberry is my favorite.

I recommend using berries that have been previously frozen. It helps rupture the cellular walls in the fruit, leading to better infusion. I also recommend putting the berries in some kind of mesh bag or muslin sock to keep things tidy, and weighing them down to keep them immersed in the beer.

Raspberry makes an excellent fruit beer. I just started drinking a batch I brewed about 6 weeks ago. I used 3lbs of Raspberries added after the first week of primary in a 5 gallon batch of a standard American wheat beer. Let that sit for 3 more weeks and then bottled it. Delicious! I've done apple, pumpkin, blackberry and blueberry wheat beers, but raspberry is my favorite.

I recommend using berries that have been previously frozen. It helps rupture the cellular walls in the fruit, leading to better infusion. I also recommend putting the berries in some kind of mesh bag or muslin sock to keep things tidy, and weighing them down to keep them immersed in the beer.

Raspberry makes a horrible beer. I used about 3 pounds in a 5 gallon batch and it was so sour I had trouble drinking any of it. I finally poured out the last 37 bottles so I could reuse them. Be careful what raspberries you use. Mine were very, very tart and that made for such a tart beer that I couldn't stand it. Maybe a different variety of raspberry would have made good beer but now I'm scared to try.

Oh, also, this was one of those partial grain kits. There was a brew bag with some grains that I had to steep for awhile, the boil with some extract.

I did this out on my back deck on a cold night while having a few drinks. It was wonderful

More properly known as E/SG-extract with steeping grains. Mash or partial mash is a different animal. Definitely gives fresher flavor & a bit more complexity though.:mug:

I just kegged up a Watermelon Wheat and it's fantastic! It was BIAB but thought that I would comment here.

I had a basic wheat recipe and used 1 dram of Lorann watermelon oil for a 5 gallon batch.

I bought that stuff on Amazon for cheap.

More properly known as E/SG-extract with steeping grains. Mash or partial mash is a different animal. Definitely gives fresher flavor & a bit more complexity though.:mug:

Awesome, thanks for the education. I was wondering if it qualified as partial mash or not.

Raspberry makes a horrible beer. I used about 3 pounds in a 5 gallon batch and it was so sour I had trouble drinking any of it. I finally poured out the last 37 bottles so I could reuse them. Be careful what raspberries you use. Mine were very, very tart and that made for such a tart beer that I couldn't stand it. Maybe a different variety of raspberry would have made good beer but now I'm scared to try.

Are you trolling? Just because you experience a personal failure with a particular ingredient doesn't mean it is unsuitable for making a beer. I have made three batches of raspberry wheat beer, and every one has turned out delicious, and so I will continue to make it. Everyone I have shared it with has loved it, and are always asking when I am going to make it again.

Maybe you should take a look at your recipe and process and try to figure out where you went wrong.

Back