Watermelon wheat available in MI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
Looking to brew a watermelon wheat. Anyone know of one I could try that is available to buy in MI?

Looking to brew a watermelon wheat. Anyone know of one I could try that is available to buy in MI?

I have never had it, but Oddside Ales has a Watermelon Wheat:

http://www.oddsideales.com/#ourbeers

I think they used to call their watermelon wheat "Wheatermelon".

I've been curious about brewing one of these as well, but never having had one, I've been loathe to brew one up. I might have to make it a point to try and find some myself and see if I like it.

I have never had it, but Oddside Ales has a Watermelon Wheat:

http://www.oddsideales.com/#ourbeers

I think they used to call their watermelon wheat "Wheatermelon".

I've been curious about brewing one of these as well, but never having had one, I've been loathe to brew one up. I might have to make it a point to try and find some myself and see if I like it.

Nice. It's what I'm looking for. Do you think the bottle it? I'll have to ask around, otherwise I may be making a special trip to Grand haven.

I've only had one (good) commercial watermelon wheat. That was 21st Amendment's "Hell or High Water(melon)" or something like that. I've never seen one for sale locally, I don't think.

I made one that was very good, though!

4 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) 43.2 %
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 32.4 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) 2.7 %
1.25 oz Crystal [3.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 12.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Crystal [3.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 6.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Crystal [3.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
2 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) 21.6 %

2.50 Cup Watermelon Juice (Secondary 10.0 days) (One whole medium watermelon, deseeded and pureed in a blender)

I've only had one (good) commercial watermelon wheat. That was 21st Amendment's "Hell or High Water(melon)" or something like that. I've never seen one for sale locally, I don't think.

2.50 Cup Watermelon Juice (Secondary 10.0 days) (One whole medium watermelon, deseeded and pureed in a blender)

I knew of that one, but I don't think I've seen their beers in this state.

If I didn't already have too many beers to brew I'd just do an experimental small batch and see how it turns out.

Wait, Yooper, I didn't think you liked wheat beers!

Was there a lot of color imparted from the watermelon juice?

My wife loves the 21a beer, and your recipe is intriguing...

Yes! this is the recipe that I'm interested in making. I may just bite the bullet and make it

Hell or High is good. They list their ingredients on their website and there is a clone recipe floating around here somewhere.

From their site:

2 Row
White Wheat
Columbus (bittering)
Magnum (flavoring)
Ale Yeast
100% fresh watermelon purée

17 IBU's
4.9% ABV

If you are looking for watermelon beers for comparison, I bought a couple Sculpin watermelon ales (D-IPA?) from Trader Joes. It had a nice backdrop of watermelon, not too overpowering or sweet at all. I can't believe the beer was a double IPA. If you can duplicate that flavor in a wheat you would be very happy.
The Hell or high Watermelon by 21st amendement is available at a lot of larger stores (binny's) but I really didn't think it was very good.

I knew of that one, but I don't think I've seen their beers in this state.

If I didn't already have too many beers to brew I'd just do an experimental small batch and see how it turns out.

Wait, Yooper, I didn't think you liked wheat beers!

I'm not much of a fan of wheat beers- you remembered correctly! I made this for a friend, and it actually turned out quite well and didn't taste "wheaty" to me, probably because of the honey and watermelon. It was very nice, but one keg was plenty for me!

Was there a lot of color imparted from the watermelon juice?

My wife loves the 21a beer, and your recipe is intriguing...

No, no color to speak of. The beer looked like a light colored wheat beer, but had definite watermelon flavor and aroma. Not "jolly rancher" fake flavor, but a definite watermelon flavor.

OP, if you want a can of 21st watermelon PM me your address and I'l get one out to you if you don't get it. We get it in Ohio and I have plenty.

"Good" is relative. I've had it; it tastes like watermelon RIND.

OP, if you want a can of 21st watermelon PM me your address and I'l get one out to you if you don't get it. We get it in Ohio and I have plenty.

That'd be awesome. I may just take you up on it. Maybe could trade. I'm going to call a few craft brew stores near me first.

I think the only watermelon beer I've seen in MI was the aforementioned Ballast Point (Sculpin) one. I made a watermelon wheat a few years ago that I really enjoyed, and I'm not even a big watermelon fan. Here's the recipe, for reference:

5lb 2-row
5lb white wheat
1.5oz (25 IBU) Cascade @ 60min
1/2 gallon watermelon juice (1 large pureed/strained watermelon) in secondary

OG: 1.046
FG: 1.010
IBU: 25
ABV: 4.8%

Thanks everyone, I did manage to find some watermelon beer to try. Picked up new Belgium heavy melon (also made with lime) and ballast point watermelon Dorado. The ballast point takes some getting used to, but I think it's because it's an ipa. I'm not sure ipa plus watermelon is the best combo.

The new Belgium was pretty good too. I had contacted odd sides brewery regarding their "wheatermelon" last week and they said they had just bottled it. So I'll probably pick some of that up too once it makes its way over to my side of the state.

I'll probably be all watermelon'd out by that time, ha! Still will plan to make the watermelon wheat in the next couple weeks. I'm thinking to go light on the melon, so just a slight hint of melon on the back of your tongue.

Just my opinion, but that Watermelon Dorado is probably one of the worst commercial IPA's I've tried. I love their Grapefruit Sculpin but that Watermelon tastes so artificial candy like to me. Not really a good beer to try if you're wanting to make a watermelon wheat.

What's your mash temp?

We brewed the Brewers Best watermelon wheat kit yesterday. Picked the kit up at a Red Salamander in Grand Ledge.

I ended up brewing the watermelon wheat posted here, but with the modifications listed on the first page:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=139086

So very similar to what yooper posted. It turned out really well imho- great summer beer. Very refreshing. I used 6.5 cups of freshly squeezed watermelon juice/pulp (to 6 gallons beer), which was about right... Just a subtle watermelon aftertaste. The watermelon beers I had bought had too much watermelon / jolly rancher flavor imho.

Back