Watermelon Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pritch05

Reaction score
I started a batch of watermelon mead last night.
5 pounds of honey
2 gallons water
2 tsp of acid blend
yeast is 71b-1122
and finally 23 cups of dry farmed watermelon

12 hours later it is barely bubbling.
The initial sugar reading was 1.68.
That had fruit in mixed in the tube.

What do you guys think?
I know watermelon can be touchy but I needed to try it. My wife's Grandpa is the farmer.

I started a batch of watermelon mead last night.
5 pounds of honey
2 gallons water
2 tsp of acid blend
yeast is 71b-1122
and finally 23 cups of dry farmed watermelon

12 hours later it is barely bubbling.
The initial sugar reading was 1.68.
That had fruit in mixed in the tube.

What do you guys think?
I know watermelon can be touchy but I needed to try it. My wife's Grandpa is the farmer.

With an OG of 1.068, it's not particularly high. You could add a bit of yeast nutrient and stir, but if it's barely bubbling, it is fermenting.

I had the same problem with my current batch that's using that same yeast. I did get good bubbling going by the 24 hour mark. I think my problem was i didnt use warm enough water when i reactivated the yeast. I raised the temperature to the high 70s for an hour or so and it started picking up, But the increase in activity may have been from the extra time and not the increase in temp. ( im new to this sorry )

Fermenting water melon has lent me nothing but tears and an acrid bitter taste in the mouth. Oh sweet fruit why do you ferment so foul

Yes if there is no yeast nutrients added yet then a tsp at minimum now would help out a lot. For a two gallon batch I would add 3 tsp of nutrient/energizer blend over the first week.

Back