Watered down taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_tripp

Reaction score
I have made 3 extract kits. 2 from Midwest and 1 from Northern. I am not too pleased with the taste of any of them. I take that back, the taste is ok, but there is no after taste or bitterness to the beers. They taste more like watered down grains, and not a good crisp beer. I have bottled and force carbed with the same taste. One batch I did a 4 gallon boil and the other 2 I only did a 3 gallon boil. Could this be the problem. I'm going to do a honey wheat next week and plan to boil all 5 gallons because I am making a chiller.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

How long has the beer been conditioning before you tasted it? The conditioning doesn't really start until the beer is fully carbed.

That watery taste will usually correct itself after 3-4 weeks of bottle conditioning. I can't speak form signifcant experience on kegging, but for bottled beers that has been my experience.

I bottled one of them 3-4 weeks ago and the other ones I kegged last week.

I made the Flat Tire (midwest) on 12/2 and kegged on 12/22.
I made the Nut Brown Ale (Northern) on 12/11 and kegged yesterday.

They both reached their final gravity.

If a beer is done fermenting and you rack it to a bottling bucket take out a sample.

If it tastes watery then add 1-2 oz of malto dextrin (MD) powder in with the priming sugar.

If you're kegging then dissolve the MD into 1 C warm beer and pour it back into the keg.

If a beer is done fermenting and you rack it to a bottling bucket take out a sample.

If it tastes watery then add 1-2 oz of malto dextrin (MD) powder in with the priming sugar.

If you're kegging then dissolve the MD into 1 C warm beer and pour it back into the keg.

If I kegged the beer are force carbed, can I still add MD?

If it tastes watered down, it probably is. Go by gravity readings, not the volume of the beer, and you'll get better results.

Back