Watered Down Milk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_stout

Reaction score
One day I get a different brand of organic milk and my kefir came out horrible. I have been making kefir for a long time so I know what I am doing. What happened was, I got chunks of kefir forming and surrounding the chunks was just a white liquid. I put the kefir in a cheese clothe to strain it and all I got was a white liquid coming through the cheese clothe. The cheese clothe deflated to almost nothing. This is very unusual. My friend has told me that sometimes people mix water into milk. Some that drink milk might not notice but cheese and kefir makers will have a serious problem because there products will fail. Has any one else experienced the same thing?

Nope but organic milk is often pasteurized at extremely high temperatures. This destroys your ability to make curds and I would think that it may prevent the kefir from coagulating the milk. You may want to check to see whether that might be the problem. Of course, it's possible that someone diluted the milk with water but I would think that the benefit of that for the crook involved (what's the price of a gallon of milk - $3.60?) would be far outweighed by the criminal penalties that would result for doctoring milk...

Nope but organic milk is often pasteurized at extremely high temperatures. This destroys your ability to make curds and I would think that it may prevent the kefir from coagulating the milk. You may want to check to see whether that might be the problem. Of course, it's possible that someone diluted the milk with water but I would think that the benefit of that for the crook involved (what's the price of a gallon of milk - $3.60?) would be far outweighed by the criminal penalties that would result for doctoring milk...

The milk that is pasteurized at extremely high temperatures is labeled ultra-pasteurized. I make sure not to buy that because I know it will not work for kefir. The gallon of organic milk I bought cost $6.25 US dollars a gallon. I think that most criminals do not assume that they would get caught or else they would not commit the crime in the first place. And some criminals are not punished that severely so they continue to commit the crimes...

But any dairy that would dilute their milk is not gonna declare whether they pasteurized their milk at low or high temperatures are they? Heck, if they can sell it a month after it was delivered they would, wouldn't they. They are crooks - by your own characterization.o_Oo_Oo_O

Back