Water sucks! It really really sucks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971hemicuda

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'm done with movie references now, I promise...

But, my water does suck. Right now, my water is great! But, i'm moving. My GF has a well and a water softener (yes, I know to NOT use the post water softener water) and the water STILL tastes terrible.

No, I haven't had the water tested yet. But i'm planning on it

That being said, outside of buying RO from the store to brew with, anyone have any suggestions on filters or water treatment that I can do for well water?

I am in this boat as well with my well water. I just buy RO or distilled water for my batches. My time and end product is not worth risking due to my well water being crapola.

If you haven't done tests then it's kinda hard to nail down how to fix any problems without just recommending multiple-stage filtration systems.

If you don't want to buy RO you can make your own. I bought a Watts 5-stage RO system for my house that ran me around $200. Though I have a municipal water line, so I don't how how often you'd have to change filters due to well water being used.

Unfortunately, I do agree, without doing the tests I just don't know "for sure"

On the subject matter of tests. I've done Ward Labs the past few years. Are there any other companies out there testing water for brewing, or should I just go back and use them.

Ward Labs has everything you need. They still offer a mineral test, which is useful, and now they offer a test specifically for brewers.

I could suggest simply running your water through a charcoal filter to improve the taste, but if you are brewing AG you still don't know what the composition is for pH. Testing is recommended if you are willing to learn how to adjust your water makeup.

Back