Water stuck in plate chiller - normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
So I am getting back into homebrewing, starting off with cleaning all my old gear. Been cleaning my plate chiller and after a fair few hours of hot caustic flush and rinsing it is now coming out clear with no fleks of crud.

However after I drain out the water and then give it a shake it sounds like water is stuck in there. No mater how much I shake and wait it doesn't seem to go away - is this normal?

Right now I am baking it in the over at 450f (hottest it will go) to burn off anything left in there.

Any other advice?

You are circulating the water through the chiller and not the beer. Aren't you?

Shouldn't be any issues as long as the two don't meet. For my copper coil chiller, I'll blow it out with a compressed air. I have at times put it in the oven. But most of the time I don't worry about the remaining water.

I'd think the only issue for the inside might be is something got plugged up and water didn't circulate through it correctly.

You are circulating the water through the chiller and not the beer. Aren't you?
I'm using a plate chiller - after getting it nice a clean I can see that a little bit of water is "trapped" in the plates below the invert of the lower ports. I guess the design means it is very difficult to drain this last bit because if you tip it over horizontal this little bit of water then gets trapped in the valleys of the convoluted plates.

I think the design of the plate chiller also makes the sound echo through the chiller and .ake it sound like there is way more water in there than there is!

Attachments

• images (7).jpeg
    images (7).jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
I've been using the same 30-plate chiller since early 2009. I've come up with a simple maintenance and cleaning routine that has been working well for me.

1. First off, I bag all hops and all other solids that go into the boil kettle (fruit, orange peel, spices, Irish Moss, etc.).
For double security, I also have a medium tight (tube-shaped) doubled-up screen inside the kettle (think of a Bazooka tube), connected to the exit port. Only very fine dust that has made it through the fine-mesh bags goes through the chilling loop. No more flakes or pulp! A stainless hop basket could offer similar protection.

I have Camlocks (1/2" Type A, male) on all 4 ports, for easy (dis)connecting and cleaning purposes.

2. After a brew session (I often brew two 5-gallon batches back to back) I clean the plate chiller, but it may remain attached till the next day. ;)

This only pertains to the wort side of course.
First drain the chiller, then backflush, forth and back a few times (4-6x) with tap water, either from the kitchen faucet or a spigot/hose outside, until it's clean. Takes about 1-2 minutes, tops.

Note: I have a barb connected to the (kitchen) faucet or outside hose, which I stick into one of the (wort side) ports, and push it down as tightly as I can, with a silicone Camlock washer in between making a face-spray free connection.

Drain the chiller, by holding it vertically, one end up. Then shake the remaining water out, now by keeping the chiller upside down, with one end pointing downward. Turn it around and shake out the other side. I let it either air dry or stick on the bottom rack in the oven. If you have an air compressor handy, sure use it!

3. Once every few (5-10) brew sessions, or when I feel the urge or need to clean it more thoroughly, I first recirculate warm (and later, near boiling) Oxiclean or (homemade) PBW through the wort side of the chiller, using the kettle, pump, hoses and all, for an hour or so. About 1-2 gallons worth (4-8 liters). I often add a dash of NaOH (drain cleaner) to it for extra oomph. My hop bags and other brewing things that need to be cleaned swim in the kettle while recirculating. The return line (on the whirlpool connection) goes into one of the hop bags, to catch any solids, hop flakes and such, but I never see any unless there was some sort of a mishap, previously.

All that gets rinsed out thoroughly, of course. You can run sanitizer through it too, but don't store the chiller with acid sanitizer inside (e.g., Starsan), it may attack the brazing which is 99% copper.

4. I've been baking the chiller in the oven at 400-450°F (200-230°C) for a few hours (with a few loaves of bread usually) once in awhile, say once or twice a year.

So I am getting back into homebrewing, starting off with cleaning all my old gear. Been cleaning my plate chiller and after a fair few hours of hot caustic flush and rinsing it is now coming out clear with no fleks of crud.

However after I drain out the water and then give it a shake it sounds like water is stuck in there. No mater how much I shake and wait it doesn't seem to go away - is this normal?

Right now I am baking it in the over at 450f (hottest it will go) to burn off anything left in there.

Any other advice?
Baking is the way to go. One hour should be fine at 450 degs, imho. Not only are you getting rid of the moisture, but you are also sanitizing it.

When my plate chiller requries a "deep cleaning" I let it soak with BLC (at the recommended concentration) over night and rinse well with warm water.

By soaking, I use a syringe to fill the wort side of the plate chiller and let it sit facing up, as opposed to submerging it into a bucket.

I hook up my pump on the wort outlet side, and run homemade PBW for 15 minutes, then pause for 15 minutes. I cycle this a few times for about two hours. Then I flush with fresh water, and blow out as much water as possible.

I do this once a year, prior to "brewing season", which for me is Nov thru March. I don't brew in the summer - too hot in SC for that!

Thanks all you guys for the advice - eased my worry about the little bit of water left sloshing in the bottom of my plate chiller.
Going to stay on top of immediately flushing / cleaning after brewing this time round, and not letting any wort the time to settle in and not want to leave.

4. I've been baking the chiller in the oven at 400-450°F (200-230°C) for a few hours (with a few loaves of bread usually) once in awhile, say once or twice a year.
That's interesting. Do you get enough steam from it to make any difference on the bread?

I use to make my own bread quite a bit. And sometimes I did want some steam in the oven to affect how the crust formed and it seemed to let the loaves rise more.

But a pan of water on the lower rack was a pain and slightly dangerous if you had to remove it while hot.

That's interesting. Do you get enough steam from it to make any difference on the bread?
No, there's not enough water left after shaking it out. ;)
If some extra moisture is needed for the bread I still put a (medium deep) pan with some water on the bottom rack.

But a pan of water on the lower rack was a pain and slightly dangerous if you had to remove it while hot.
Yes it is, and awkward.
I use a 1.5-2" deep pan only about 1/4 full. Most has evaporated by the time it gets removed.

Last edited:
Back