Water sitting out - does pH change?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlmbrwng

Reaction score
I would like to prepare my mash and sparge water tonight, so as to have one less thing to do tomorrow. If I adjust the pH tonight and let sit overnight, will this affect the pH?

I would also like to keep the lid off to let chlorine escape. I will probably also add a campden tablet for that just to be safe.

I could always adjust mineral content (campden tablet included), let sit overnight, then adjust the pH tomorrow. It's just that sometimes it's frustrating getting the pH right. But I think much of that has to do with a broken pH meter...just got a new one, freshly calibrated. (now i'm just babbling)

I don't think there's any reason that the pH should change overnight. I always treat my water the night before. Just make sure to measure your mash pH so if it doesn't hit your target pH you can adjust it.

Actually, it will change slightly. CO2 is absorbed by water which will cause the pH to go down a bit. How much depends how long it sits out, I suppose. Also, if the water contains chlorine, that will escape over time and cause the Ph to go up. Again, it could just be a point or two, but that's enough of a change to be concerned, perhaps.

Back