Water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Finally sent some water to ward labs for analysis. What are we thinking here. I see the sodium is on the high side but otherwise sulfate to chloride ratio looks good but don’t know if there’s anything I can do to lower the sodium other than dilute it with say ro or distilled water.

Ph 9.2
Tds 332
Sodium 73
Calcium 25
Mg 11
Hardness 108
Sulfate 34
Chloride 78
Bicarbonate 39
Alkalinity 37

Is it worth the time to fuss with this or I just spend the 5-7$ on ro/distilled water like I normally do for each batch.

Yes, you're right, sodium is higher than you might choose if starting from scratch. However, it isn't too high for lots of beers and the rest are good. Get some more calcium in that from gypsum and/or calcium chloride and you are good to go.

Yes, you're right, sodium is higher than you might choose if starting from scratch. However, it isn't too high for lots of beers and the rest are good. Get some more calcium in that from gypsum and/or calcium chloride and you are good to go.

I brew mostly ipas, neipas, or pale ales. Most heavily hopped so maybe that’ll cover up the sodium and I’ve been using bru’n water software with ro water for my beers for a few years so I have all the necessary minerals on hand. But if it’s a good starting profile it’ll save me some money if I can use our tap water. What about the ph will I need anything to bring that down. I have lactic acid.

Sodium at that level will influence taste, but not necessarily too noticeable in pale beers and probably beneficial in dark beers.

Yes, pH is very high, but it's alkalinity that influences mash pH and alkalinity is not high, but some lactic acid will be needed for pale beers, but not excessively. If you're happy using Bru'nwater, I'd take calcium up to at least the upper level advised for those styles to give the malt and hops more flavor to overcome any possible taste from sodium.

Good luck.

I sent my water into wards lab and adjusted . After a handful of brews I figured out it was just easier using RO water and building up . I think I have 2 beers that I make that I dont use 100% Ro water . 1 is a co pitch sour which I dilute and the other is a stout which I use my tap water with no salts or acids .

Latest posts

Back