Water Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

419Brewing

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry if this has been beaten like a dead horse ! But this is the free report the head chemist at my water company gave me. He was very happy to help and would probably give specific #'s but I don't want to bother him again .Will these #'s suffice when using bru'n water ? Thanks for any help.

· total hardness (not needed if calcium and magnesium levels are given)---75-100 ppm

· alkalinity—70-90 ppm

· calcium—20-35 ppm

· magnesium—1-4 ppm

· sodium—8-20 ppm

· chloride—35-55 ppm

· sulfate—60-75 ppm

· bicarbonate (not needed if alkalinity is given)

Bru'n Water doesn't really care where your water starts. What is you specific question? your water, as is, should be OK for a medium-dark beer, i.e. brown ale, altbier, etc.

Bru'n Water doesn't really care where your water starts. What is you specific question? your water, as is, should be OK for a medium-dark beer, i.e. brown ale, altbier, etc.
Sorry about the vague question. What I'm asking is this report ok to build a water profile or should I obtain specific ppm's . Example calcium shows 20-35 ppm , sodium 8-20 ppm is it ok to use a number in the middle or should I get the precise ppm if there is such a thing ? Thanks for your time.

Everything you need is there...the problem is the range in those values. You should call back and ask what the most common values for each of those parameters is and if they know what tends to cause them to vary (sometimes they do know).

Sorry about the vague question. What I'm asking is this report ok to build a water profile or should I obtain specific ppm's . Example calcium shows 20-35 ppm , sodium 8-20 ppm is it ok to use a number in the middle or should I get the precise ppm if there is such a thing ? Thanks for your time.

Don't try to hit exact numbers, it's virtually impossible. Just get close to the desired range and keep the ratios of the targeted ions as similar as you can. You and your beer is not going to know the difference of a few ppm here and there.

Everything you need is there...the problem is the range in those values. You should call back and ask what the most common values for each of those parameters is and if they know what tends to cause them to vary (sometimes they do know).
Thank you for the info and your time.

Don't try to hit exact numbers, it's virtually impossible. Just get close to the desired range and keep the ratios of the targeted ions as similar as you can. You and your beer is not going to know the difference of a few ppm here and there.
Thanks for the info.

My water company has exact numbers posted on their website that change yearly

Back