Water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjbank

Reaction score
I got a water report from ward labs. Cations/Anions are 4.2/3.9. When I put the water info in Brun Water it gives me Cations/Anions 4.2/2.5. Any thoughts out there why this might happen?

Post your report and you'll get the help you need :D

Omit any confidential/locational/etc data you want but keep in the mineral values.

You are bobbling the anion inputs. Likely candidates:
1) Ward Labs sulfate numbers need to be multiplied by 3 before entering them into a program that want's sulfate 'as the ion'
2) Be sure you are giving it alkalinity if it wants alkalinity and bicarbonate if it wants bicarbonate
3) Ward Labs reports did bobble carbonate and bicarbonate ion concentrations if pH was > 8 and I haven't been able to verify that they fixed this since it was pointed out to them.

Here is my water report. PH is 8.9 and sounds high to me. Cations/Anions are reported as 4.2/3.9. When I put the info into Brun Water it shows 4.2/1.7

Capture.PNG

Yep - what AJ said. There is a tooltip in Bru'n that asks you to multiply the SO4-S and the NO3-N to get the proper values. I just ran this into the Water Report Input tab and it sums correctly with those conversions.

Also make sure to use the alkalinity number in the area around row 12 to determine a better bicarbonate number. You will need the total alkalinity value and the reported water pH. Take that result and put it in place of the bicarbonate value if it is different. AJ reminded me of this in my walk through blog post.

How old is this report? It's hard to be sure because the alkalinity is so low but it looks as if they still may be misreporting the carbonate and bicarbonate numbers.

Back