Water Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strangways

Reaction score
I have been all grain brewing for a while, and I want to improve my process. One area I am working on is understanding my water profile. I checked our city's water report, but I have seen a lot of conflicting data on the web regarding my area. I have been looking at the water testing kits, but I have not spent the money.... However, I walked through Home Depot today, and saw Kinetico will perform water tests if you bring in samples this weekend. Has anyone done this, if yes, was it usable info? Thanks

Yes... I am trying to an "economical" solution to this

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Usually the free water analysis offered in the hardware stores to help sell water treatment equipment is useless for brewing. Try calling your water company. They should be able to give you all the information you need. That doesn't mean the data won't change a little from time to time, but it gives you a good ball park. If you get to a point where you think your water changed, call them again.

See if your water dept has a contact email. I emailed mine and told him I was brewing and what info I needed, and got a email back a few hours later.

I second sending a sample to Ward Labs. Just had mine tested by them and I think it was 40 bucks.They sent me the package, I sent it right back, and I had my results within a week of buying it online. You can specifically pick a water test for brewing so they give you all the important brewing numbers.

I just don't see the logic in spending $40 for a water report when your tap water is not going to stay the same year round and the water company gives you the same info for free.

Depends on where you live I suppose. OP I guess suggested he lives within city limits since he checked with the city but he also found conflicting data. A lot of us, however, need outside testing done on our own well water. $40 bucks is a small price to pay to know what is really coming through your tap at home.

Unless you have a reason to suspect your iron, fluoride, or phosphorus is high, there is no need for the complete mineral or brewers test.

Simple W-6 for $21.00 is all you need. If you have problems you can't pinpoint, or are on a well, you might have a case for a different test.

EDIT: So I just checked, been forever since I sent in a sample... looks like the W-6 is now $28.60. Still, it's all you need unless you have a reason.

Back