water quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeer

Reaction score
I've been filtering my tap water and all my brews have been great.
I want to try something with the water for my next batch.
I'm doing a imperial ipa and i want to use some high quality water for it.
My favorite water is Evian. It has great texture and flavor.
Can a mineral spring water like this be used to brew beer? If so, is there anything I need to worry about?

You can use ditch water to brew a beer, but what do you want it to taste like? Evian is imported from France, isn't it? How many IPA's do you know of brewed in France?

Stick with what you are doing and if you want to play with the water and are making a 5 gallon batch, throw a tablespoon of Gypsum into the boil.

I don't think the reason IPAs are not being brewed in France is the water. If you like Evian use it. That's the great thing about homebrewing, you do whatever you want. GO FOR IT!!! :rockin:

helibrewer said:
Here's their water analysis: http://www.evian.com/files/EvianAWQR2011.pdf

sulphate:chloride is 4:3 which is pretty balanced. The alkalinity and bicarbonate are both on the higher side so you might check how that fits with an IPA...I know it works well for darker ales...doesn't look quite as high as Burton, but it's definitely toward the hard side.

That's awesome! ...
Thanks..

kwingert said:
I don't think the reason IPAs are not being brewed in France is the water. If you like Evian use it. That's the great thing about homebrewing, you do whatever you want. GO FOR IT!!! :rockin:

Will do, thanks!
I'm going to split the batch.. I'll use 2, maybe 3, types of water.. See how it turns out.

Back