Water Pump for Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stankonia

Reaction score
Hey guys,

For my wort chilling setup I'm planning on using an immersion chiller and using a pump to recirculate ice-water from a cooler instead of getting water from a faucet/hose (which isn't that cool to begin with in Florida).

So right now I'm looking for a pump that will get the job done. I'm not currently doing all-grain so I won't need a pump to circulate hot-wort or hot-liquor.

Will a cheaper, lower-end pump work for this? They don't get great reviews online, but that's usually from people who are running them for hours on end, not 15-20 minutes a couple times a month. Could a $20 aquarium pump even work well enough for 30-40 ft of copper coiling?

Also, does the temperature of the water coming out of the IC be an issue I would need to keep in mind?

Thanks!

I went to Lowes and got the cheapest fountain pump they had. It was 30 bucks. I few misc. plumbing pieces later it's works great.
I would advise to use your tap water to knock the temps down to around 100 before using the ice water or you'll go through a ton of ice.
I think edwort has a thread on it somewhere.

Back