Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundaybrewingco

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this water profile? Just looking to get some information and how to improve it:

80 ppm - Calcium
70 ppm - Magnesium
20 ppm - Sulfate
40 ppm - Alkalinity
pH - 8.4

Any help would be rocking.

That's a lot of magnesium. You'll want to dilute that water quite a bit. Also, you must have a lot of chloride to balance that water profile. Bru'n water says you must have about 300ppm Cl for the water to balance. Granted it's possible you have a lot of something like nitrate or nitrite. It's definitely an odd profile.

mabrungard said:
Yep, that's a lot of Mg. Are you sure the concentration is correct? Dilution is the only solution if its correct.

I got it from my local brewery's website...

Need confirmation WRT units. Assuming the calcium and magnesium numbers are hardnesses i.e. that the total hardness is 150 then things are pretty nominal and the profile would balance with about 65 mg/L chloride assuming there is no appreciable sodium which there very well might be. OTOH if the calcium and magnesium numbers are mg/L it would take about 148 mg/L chloride to balance and that is quite a bit. Again, the presence of appreciable amounts of sodium would require even more chloride. A third, but remote, possibility is that the sulfate is 'as sulfur'. In this case the balance is much better in which case 35 mg/L Cl- would balance things, again dependent on sodium level.

So really can't tell much until I'm sure of the units.

I emailed my township to see if they could provide me with more details on the water chemistry. Not expecting much though from them... If not I may email the brewery to see if they could provide the full water chemistry details since they gave out some of it already.

Back