Water Profile Software - Easy One?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Architect-Dave

Architect & Fledgling Home Brewer (5-Mana Brewing)
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i have been searching through these treads and online. I am trying to find a water profile calculator where you enter your starting water chemistry, select A profile type and it tells you how much of each to add. I have tried a bunch where you insert your starting profile, desired profile, mash / grain bill and then try to mess around with adding certain salts to get you close. I am looking for one that tells you how much and what types of chemicals to add. Anyone know of such an app or calculator?

Give Brewfather a try. I believe it has exactly what you are looking for.

+1. I used the easy water calculator and beer smith in the past, but now use brew father for a number of reasons. You can save your water source profile so it will do the calculations based on the target you select and the grain bill and hit the calculate and update the additions button. Plus since it separates the recipe from the batch so you can make changes for specifics to the batch without changing the original recipe. So I can use my tap for on batch and then my RODI for the other buy simply changing the water source profile in the batch file and leave the original recipe in tact

Alternative Conclusion ;)

At HomeBrewTalk, [as well as /r/homebrewing, AHA forums, ..., ..., ...] the power of web servers to connect home brewers across the globe offers an dynamic, interactive, and collaborative platform for homebrewers to share, explore, and optimize their brewing process. By amplifying the dynamic insights of humans, homebrewing forums enable and empower all homebrewers at all levels of expertise to fearelessly connect their water profile data with expert insights, allowing for near real-time guidance, informed decision-making, world class memes, and learning along the way.​

ChatGPT seems to be pretty good at summarizing existing content. It is also known that ChatGPT will put together sequences of words that are not true. Over time, this may get better (and worse).

Maybe, at some point in time in the future, ChatGPT will "give back" to the communities that built the knowledge that it trained on.

For those interested in knowing What Is ChatGPT Doing … and Why Does It Work?, you know where to click.

And I am a ChatGPT user.

Last edited:
There may be a place for LLM generated content. IMHO, hobby forum discussion is not one of those places.

If we're going to continue to anthropomorphize LLMs, maybe parrot (as in Stochastic Parrot) is a better analogy:

In machine learning, "stochastic parrot" is a term[1] coined by Emily M. Bender[2][3] in the 2021 artificial intelligence research paper "On the Dangers of Stochastic Parrots: Can Language Models Be Too Big?" by Bender, Timnit Gebru, Angelina McMillan-Major, and Margaret Mitchell.[4] The term refers to "large language models that are impressive in their ability to generate realistic-sounding language but ultimately do not truly understand the meaning of the language they are processing."[2]

[...]

Stochastic means "(1) random and (2) involving chance or probability".[5] A "stochastic parrot", according to Bender, is an entity "for haphazardly stitching together sequences of linguistic forms … according to probabilistic information about how they combine, but without any reference to meaning."[3] More formally, the term refers to "large language models that are impressive in their ability to generate realistic-sounding language but ultimately do not truly understand the meaning of the language they are processing."[2]

-- link: Stochastic parrot - Wikipedia

Last edited:
i have been searching through these treads and online. I am trying to find a water profile calculator where you enter your starting water chemistry, select A profile type and it tells you how much of each to add. I have tried a bunch where you insert your starting profile, desired profile, mash / grain bill and then try to mess around with adding certain salts to get you close. I am looking for one that tells you how much and what types of chemicals to add. Anyone know of such an app or calculator?

What you describe is exactly the way I use the water tab in Beersmith. I got my Ward Labs brewers water test back... created my base water profile... and when I make a recipe I start with that base and then select a target. Beersmith adds to my recipe list the water additions I need to match that profile.

I use Beersmith 3 and as Kevin58 pointed out, all you have to do is get your water report and enter it as a base (starting) profile or use DI or RO as the starting profile, then select a traget profile for the style you are brewing, hit add minerals and you are almost there! look over the suggested mineral additions and make sure they make sense. I also use the acid tool but, it, isn't perfect however, it does work but predicts high. I also use a supported copy of Martin's program Bru'n Water to check the results (steep learning curve) but worth the effort. I love both tools and for ease of use, hands down Beersmith is by far easier! There are many other great tools out there, so give each a go and select what works for you! One thing to note is, don't get fooled by regional profiles as the brewers in that region treated the water too for the style they are brewing!

Vinny D.

Back