Water Profile Question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HomeBrewMasterRace

Enthusiastic Homebrewer
Reaction score
I recently got a report from my local water company and it came out to the following.

PH of 8.3

upload_2019-2-25_14-33-47.png

I was wondering, what an ideal water profile would look like, and to see if what this is a good starting point for. I'm new to thinking about water profiles, but have recently started reading John Palmers book.

I was wondering, what is your guys' take on my water profile? Any sugguestions? Is there a style that i shouldn't due or that i should do with this profile?

Thanks in advance,

brownni5

Reaction score
Ideal water profile? That depends on what you want to brew. Your best bet would be to input your profile into some sort of water spreadsheet or the like (I use Bru'n Water - it's a free download - but there are others) along with your grain bill and desired profile. Want it malty? Want it bitter? Questions only you can answer.

I'm probably not the best to answer all your questions, but it looks to me you could brew a fine beer with your water.

I use RO water - my well water is softened and otherwise has iron - neither is ideal, and already had the RO filter, was a no-brainer for me.

mabrungard

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That water isn't terrible, but it is somewhat mineralized. It could be good for some styles and less good for others. Having a source of RO water to dilute that water supply could open up a lot more brewing possibilities. But you should be able to brew with that water as long as it doesn't taste metallic and you're removing chlorine compounds and attending to the elevated alkalinity.