water profile for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brais4

Reaction score
hello
Which is the best wáter profile for IPA??
For example, what is the water profile of dogfish ipas??

Can't answer as it depends on your optimality criterion. Assuming that is that it tastes best to you you will have to experiment. Generally less is better so start with perhaps half of what the Primer recommends and work up from there. Add salts to finished beer to get a feel for their effects.

If you enjoy a clean, dry IPA that accentuates the hopping and bitterness, then using a high sulfate water profile like the Pale Ale profile in Bru'n Water is excellent. If you prefer a softer hop and bittering presence, then reducing the sulfate content to somewhere between 100 and 200 ppm may be more to your liking. An important consideration is that an IPA tends to be uninspiring if the sulfate content is too low.

For my IPAs, I increase my SO4/Cl ratio. I typically use 3 tsp gypsum and 1 tsp CaCl per 5 gal of RO water. Puts your sulfate a in the 300-350 ppm and Cl around 80 ppm. Really noticed a positive turnaround in my hoppy beers.

Back