Water profile and adjustment help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarEagleBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys.....lemme pick your brains. I'm in south Alabama and pump my water out of the ground. I got a water profile done and it looks like this:

In PPMs:

Calcium - 32
Sodium - 5
Magnesium - 11
Sulfate - not listed
Chloride - not listed (but probably 0)
Hardness (CaCO3) - 125
pH - 7.88

I got the report done at a state university and they don't check for sulfate or chloride. So here's my question....what do you strive for when adjusting your water before the mash? Is pH the most important factor, or meeting the targeted Ppm count of the particular mineral? I've played with several calculators using an Irish Red recipe and I get different suggested additions. So what is important and what is not. I've never made any adjustments before and my beer tastes good, but I'd like to step up my game if possible. Thanks for the opinions!

Sulphate and chloride levels are important to know for your beer. You will need to find a more complete water report. There is a wealth of information on water here at HBT in the Brew Science section.

Get a water report from Ward Labs - worth the $40.

You will need to know sulfates and chlorides (which I am certain are in your water).

The rest of your water looks good so far - you can bump calcium a bit up to 50 or so.

Latest posts

Back