Water profile after ward labs test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumpersk_a

Reaction score
Hello all.
I finally ordered a water profile test from ward labs.
I tried using bru'n water but it doesn't work on mobile devices I guess. I don't have a computer to use. I'm going to post my water profile because I have no idea where to go from here to adjust my profile. I know it depends on what type of beer is being brewed. Does anyone know if these results are standard or does my water need some treatment to take out carbonate or chloride or anything else? Thank you for any information.

Screenshot_2015-09-29-13-31-10-1.png

That is almost certainly softened water. The calcium and magnesium are very low and the sodium is high. That is not suitable for brewing. You need to see if you can test the raw water before the softener. As long as that water doesn't taste metallic, it is almost certainly going to be a better brewing water than what you've shown here.

This water is straight out of our subdivisions well. It is run through the chlorination station and piped to our houses. I have no softener. I wonder if that high of sodium can have adverse health affects? So this water shouldn't be used for brewing due to sodium?

Back