Water or Grain First?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeplik

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I've been wondering if there is a concensus on whether to add the strike water into the MLT before the grain, or grain before the water. Palmer suggests puting the grain in first, and then adding the strike water in batches so as not to shock the grain. This is the method that I have been using, but due to the early "clumping" as I stir in the water, I wonder if I end up with grain that is not fully wetted. I've also seen both hombrew and commercial videos showing the water going in first, clearly violating Palmer's suggestion.

Has anyone experienced a problem of "shocking" the grain by puting the water in first?

i did grain first, then water. saw others do grain first and water 2nd from below using pumps to avoid some of the issues you mention. I had no problems with non-wet grains, but i stirred after adding the water.

I do water then grain. No doughballs at all.

I do flour then water when I make dough, so I figured the opposite might work best for beer.

I do water, then grain. If you add the water first, and then a quarter of your grain at a time, it is way easier to ensure that no dough balls have formed.

I do water, then grain. It's easier for me that way. I heat the water to 180F and preheat the mash tun with it. Then I let it fall to whatever BeerSmith tells me is the right strike temp for my mash temp, dump in the grains and stir, and I've never missed the mash temp, believe it or not, by even as much as one degree.

I preheat the mash tun (a 10 gal converted Rubbermaid cooler) to about 145F, dump in the grain, then pour in the strike water. Then stir very well with a paddle. I mash pretty thin (last batch was around 1.75 qt. / lb of grain), and have never had a problem with dry spots. Most of my stirring is to equalize temperatures.....it's in the area of calculating the temperature of the strike water to ensure I end up with the correct mash temp that I have difficulty.

As far as which way it's done, I frankly don't think there's any difference- just make sure the mash is mixed well.

I add 50% of the water and then add 50% of the grain and I stir it well. I then repeat the previous step with the remaining water and grain. This allows me the opportunity to stir the grains to ensure thorough wetting with a more manageable amount of grain. It also gets the grain at both steps to roughly the target temperature of my planned mash. This was a recommendation made to me when I asked the same question on another forum. It has worked well for me on 8+ batches.

I think both methods have their pros and cons but I do water first because for me it is easier to stir in the grain then it is to stir in the water.

Ditto for me!

I do water, then grain. It's easier for me that way. I heat the water to 180F and preheat the mash tun with it. Then I let it fall to whatever BeerSmith tells me is the right strike temp for my mash temp, dump in the grains and stir, and I've never missed the mash temp, believe it or not, by even as much as one degree.

Optimally, I think I'd like to do water with grain, bit by bit. Kinda like folding eggs. But a homebrewer's equiment mandates certain things; I've got a cooler to preheat, so it's just so much easier to do that with the total amount of mash water and then stir in the grains.

It seems there's enough people doing water first without any mention of shocking the enzymes, that I'm convinced to go this route this weekend.

Thanks to all that replied!
:mug:

+1...so much easier to get the tun to temp then just stir in grain. never missed a temp as well!:mug:

I do grain, then water, but for no particular reason other than that's how I've always done it.

Back