Water...measuring mineral additions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainL

Reaction score
I'm starting to grasp this water stuff now that I have my water report.

So, what is the best way to measure the mineral additions.

Is there a rough but somewhat accurate for grams per tsp?
Looks like I'll be dealing mainly with gypsum, cal chloride, and epson salt.

I realize mass isn't the same as weight and different densities will effect the measurement. I'm not sure I am to the point of buying a gram scale yet...unless there is a cheap accurate one that can do ounces and lbs too. I'll look at recommendations.

thanks.

I found the answer through searching.
Here is the answer if anyone is also looking for it.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-4.html

I bought a relatively cheap (under $25) scale that measures in ounces, grams, pounds, etc. I use it for the salts additions, hops, and some grains. It's pretty small, so I can't use it for big amounts of grains but it works well for everything else. It's not ultra accurate, only going to the nearest gram, but it's good enough for me.

http://www.homebrewing.com/equipment/escoli-digital-homebrew-scale.php

my scales measure to the nearest gram but I found that it was pretty inaccurate when weighing a fine powder such as gypsum etc although it works well for hops. It resulted in two completely different beers using the same recipe for a burton style ipa. I am now playing around with tsp measures to see if its more accurate for my needs. 1tsp gypsum or calcium chloride seems to consistently weighs 5g from my playing around.

The density and unit weight of powdered materials can vary significantly. Using a volumetric measure for the tiny mineral additions that most brewing water needs, is not a good or accurate means. If a brewer wants any semblance of accuracy in their brewing water, then using a decent scale is required. You cannot fudge it with teaspoons. Buy a scale, its useful for more than just mineral measurements in brewing.

Back