Water kefir lack of Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boer

Reaction score
Hi fellow booch lovers.

I have a question regarding Water kefir. So I've had a few grains of water kefir since 2018 and have been feeding them ever since. But during last year I neglected my babies a bit and I am worried that they might be "dead"/inactive because my mixture doesn't have any carbonation after the 48 hours ferment. I have a nice pH meter so I can see how it drops during 2 days (which shows there is some fermentation going on)but was just wondering my batches only seem sweet and not very Acidic or Carbonated at all.

Also is there something I can do to help the grains to get back to their old selves?

I am far from an expert but iirc to make the grains grow you need to feed them with sugar every few days in a jar with a smaller amount of water. These were the instructions for growing the grains if you want to give some away. The person who gave them to me had been using them for months and they remained the same size. I ferment mine with sugar, tiny bit of salt, slice of lemon and a fig.

Back