water kefir grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

FromZwolle

I don't want to be cremated, I want to be malted.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a trustworthy source for water kefir grains? I've seen some ebay and amazon listings, but 😒, :no:.

I converted some milk grains to juice several years ago and really enjoyed the effervescent fizzy juice i made with it, but the grains had a shelf life, as they wouldn't grow any and indeed seemed to shrink and disintegrate slowly over time.

MikeBiondo

Reaction score
The two sources I've found that *seem* reputable (standard disclaimer: I yet to order from either): on the east coast, The Happy Herbalist; on the west coast, KombuchaKamp.

Please, if you order from either, let us know what you think...

Mike

Vopiscus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've ordered a few times from Florida Sun Kefir off of Amazon and had good results with both the live and dry cultures. I even let them sit a few months without feeding and they were still viable.

OP
OP
FromZwolle

FromZwolle

Reaction score
I've ordered a few times from Florida Sun Kefir off of Amazon and had good results with both the live and dry cultures. I even let them sit a few months without feeding and they were still viable.
ended up ordering from these guys.

half dozen batches and still goin strong.

i even neglected the grains in my fridge for a week or more after they arrived. didn't seem to have any effect on them.

OP
OP
FromZwolle

FromZwolle

Reaction score
i hate it when folks never update when they have new information.

dozens of batches in, and still goin strong!

i'll post some pics and a general process when i have good enough light for a decent shot.