Water from the hot tap/ electric shower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edinburger

Reaction score
Hello,

My old man was a plumber and i always remember him saying to me as a kid never to drink water from the hot tap, there could spiders and whatever else in the hot water tank apparently and it's generally pretty unsanitary.

So this has me wondering:
  1. Does anyone use water from the hot tap? Surely if you use it before the boil, it doesnt matter as any nasties are boiled out?
  2. If you shouldnt use the hot tap for aforementioned reasons, what about hot water from an electric shower as this comes straight from the main water supply, ie the cold supply?
  3. Presumably, heating water with electricity has some effect on its structure at an atomic level, I'm thinking its ionic properties. Sorry if this a stupid question, but can anyone shed light?
Cheers!

A hot water tank can harbor microbes and excessive minerality, and hot water running through pipes may leach hazardous chemicals into the water.

The extent to which these things occur probably isn't enough to harm your beer or your health in the grand scheme, but I still don't recommend it.

:mug:

Interesting. How come hot water would leach things into the water and not cold? Hot water loosening up grime? Im in edinburgh and the water here is pretty soft so not sure this would be an issue if thats the case? Would this only apply to copper pipes?

A hot water tank can harbor microbes and excessive minerality, and hot water running through pipes may leach hazardous chemicals into the water.
The extent to which these things occur probably isn't enough to harm your beer or your health in the grand scheme, but I still don't recommend it.

Heat increases leaching rate because the particles move faster. Things do leach into cold water; it's just much slower.
Think about making pasta. You use hot water so it's done in minutes. You could you cold water to soften and hydrate the pasta but it would take a lot longer.

My concerns about leaching of "chemicals" was mainly directed towards leaching of plasticizers from plastic pipes (e.g. CPVC), and possibly lead from brass fittings. There are different types of materials, and copper should be fairly safe itself from my understanding, though I'm not sure about the soldering material or other fittings.
Some copper does dissolve into the water, and it's not necessarily good for your beer.

Without intimate knowledge of all the materials the water passes through from the heat source to the vessel, I would play it safe and not use hot water.

Presumably, heating water with electricity has some effect on its structure at an atomic level, I'm thinking its ionic properties. Sorry if this a stupid question, but can anyone shed light?
The method of heating has absolutely no effect on the properties of the water.

My old man was a plumber...Cheers!

When was your Dad a plumber (decade?) It's known in older cities (no offense, but I believe Edinburgh is an older city. Not trying to offend.) they used lead pipes for water transport. Perhaps, this is the source of the warning? I do recall, many, many moons ago, being told to NOT brush teeth, drink water from the hot water tap.

Heat increases leaching rate because the particles move faster. Things do leach into cold water; it's just much slower.
Think about making pasta. You use hot water so it's done in minutes. You could you cold water to soften and hydrate the pasta but it would take a lot longer.

My concerns about leaching of "chemicals" was mainly directed towards leaching of plasticizers from plastic pipes (e.g. CPVC), and possibly lead from brass fittings. There are different types of materials, and copper should be fairly safe itself from my understanding, though I'm not sure about the soldering material or other fittings.
Some copper does dissolve into the water, and it's not necessarily good for your beer.

Without intimate knowledge of all the materials the water passes through from the heat source to the vessel, I would play it safe and not use hot water.

The method of heating has absolutely no effect on the properties of the water.
Great answer, very informative. Thanks for this

When was your Dad a plumber (decade?) It's known in older cities (no offense, but I believe Edinburgh is an older city. Not trying to offend.) they used lead pipes for water transport. Perhaps, this is the source of the warning? I do recall, many, many moons ago, being told to NOT brush teeth, drink water from the hot water tap.
He was a plumber from the mid 70's til about 2010. My flat was built in about 1900 so the piping will be pretty old unless there's been some major renovation work which I doubt. Seems pretty solid between your answer and Rph that the hot water tap is a definite no.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back