Water from an outdoor hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
So I'm going to be doing my first AG batch today, and I was wondering if it's alright to use water from my outdoor spigot for the mash, since it'll be much quicker and easier that way.

Ive never used it, and dont eved do AG batches, but I would think it would be alright if you use at RV grade water hose. These are made up of a different material than normal garden hoses. I use one for my camper and you cant taste the hose like you can sometimes from a regular hose.

If it's pre-boil, it's probably fine. I wouldn't use hose water to dilute a boil though. I think the chances of bad bacteria would be much much higher in a hose than in a potable water line.

pax,
Scott

Use it. Just let the water run for a few seconds first to get any rubber aroma out. Its all I've ever done. cheers -p

I would never use a garden hose to make beer, except for my chiller. Head to Lowes, Home Depot, or Wally World and pick up the WHITE RV hose. It is food grade and won't leech chemicals into the water.

perry said:
Use it. Just let the water run for a few seconds first to get any rubber aroma out. Its all I've ever done. cheers -p

What he said. It's all I use. Give it a quick flush and your fine. It sure beats the well and river water monks used

I would use the same method I use to tell if she's real, or wearing falsies.

If it tastes like rubber...

Be careful using outdoor hoses, they are generally made with lead. While I don't think it is enough to really hurt anyone, it isn't the best thing for you.

As most others have said, get the white RV hose, it is food grade and lead free.

I've got a really nice garden hose. Used it on 2 batches so far. I've also used tap water from inside. Can't tell any differences. I always run the hose for awhile first tho.

It should be fine, just let it run for a few seconds before collecting the water for use. But, for the next batch try making the filter from the BYo magazine. I made it , it's cheap and easy.

I don't see any problem with using the hose. I think people worry way too much about water when making beer. After all, historically one of the reasons people made beer was to make their undrinkable water drinkable.

A long time ago, before I ever dreamed of making my own beer, I remember someone asked a question during the Miller Brewery tour about the water and the tour guide said they just use Milwaukee water right out of the tap. He claimed, at least, that they didn't really do anything at all to it except to make beer out of it.

Back