Water for Lager VS water for Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
I have low levels of minerals in my water with a pH of 8.05. Up till now Ive only made Ales and have added 5g CaCl and 5g SO4 (and lactic). They have all turned out really well.
I am about to start making lagers and I was wondering whether I should make the same additions to the water or are lagers are better suited to low mineral content (I will still add lactic) ? And - do the yeast need added calcium ?

I wasn't aware of that.
Does that mean if I brew a light (in colour) IPA or a Bohemian Lager the water additions should be the same ?
Ive been making IPA with the above additions and they're turned out well.
Should I try without the additions ?
Does the yeast need more Ca ?
I plan on making a pilsener type lager.

It's all about getting the right mash pH, which should be the same regardless of style. Dark malts add acidity. Calcium and Magnesium (to a lesser degree) are what set the ' hardness' and help lower mash pH. Carbonates raise mash pH. The section in that book should answer all your questions. You really need to know your existing water profile in order to adjust your water. And you need a way to measure your mash pH. Otherwise you're just shooting in the dark.

I have a pH meter - for light beers I add 1ml lactic to the mash and nothing for dark beers. This gets my mash pH into the mid 5's. Sparge water gets 2ml lactic.
I have the water report - I have low mg and low Ca - pH is 8.05 - confirmed with the pH meter.
Should I brew a light beer without the mineral additions (lactic only) ?

Click on that link at the bottom of section 15.3 to open that spreadsheet. Then use that to tell you whether you need additions. Or you could use the one -TH- made in this thread. If your alkalinity is too high dilute with distilled water and then add whatever salts you need.

Back