Water for a Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spin02

Reaction score
After a bit of work, I have finally obtained a water report for my area's water.

Theses are the numbers they gave me:

Hardness 188 mg/L
Alk 170 mg/L
PH 7.5
Sodium 7.52 mg/L
Chloride 23.1 mg/L
Sulfate 8.7 mg/L

Could I get some advise on adjustments for making a Robust Porter around 23 SRM?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That is a fairly alkaline water, but it doesn't have too much Na, Cl, or SO4 so its a good starting point. From my quick look, it appears that there is still too much alkalinity in that water and the mash pH would probably end up too high. Some acid would likely be needed in the mash to move the pH lower than where it appears likely to fall. I suggest a room temperature pH in the mash of about 5.4 to 5.5. Bru'n Water provides the tools you need to figure that stuff out.

I tried a few things in the spreadsheet. Wow, what a great tool.

Does this look close? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

water3.JPG

I would try and move that pH up a bit. I find that the beer gets a little tart if I allow my mash to move as low as 5.2. A target of 5.4 would be much better. An option for increasing the mash pH would be to reduce the concentration of both the calcium and magnesium ions. You could easily reduce the magnesium and the CaCl2 could also be reduced to provide only about 50 ppm Ca. That reduces the pH lowering effect and may allow the baking soda addition to be reduced. Still aim for 5.4 though.

Enjoy!

Cut your water 50/50 with RO water and then double the additions you've got in Bru'n water. You may want to add a srpinkle of Gypsum though since they don't give you a Calcium Hardness but only general hardness. If you cut with RO your mash pH should get down there. You may want to add a little bit of Calcium Chloride to the boil to accentuate your malt profile in the porter.

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it.

I didn't have much luck getting the numbers to balance using my existing water, so I used distilled. My only concern, I had to cut out the Mg to get my Ph to 5.4. Should I add a touch of epsom salt somewhere else in the process to assist yeast floculation?

Am I getting any closer?

water21.JPG

That recommendation for magnesium in water is now void. If you are creating a malt based wort, the grain will provide plenty of magnesium to the wort. The only reason to add magnesium to water is if its flavor contributions are desired. That might be desirable with a Porter, but not necessary. I think Mg is a very desirable flavor component in a Pale or IPA.

You could just use RO water, add a tsp of CaCl2 to the mash. Leave the dark roasted grains out of the mash and add at them at mashout or the vourlauf stages. I bet you would be very happy with the results

Back