Water filter upgrade - Can I add on an RO membrane?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Sidman

Reaction score
Could use some recommendations on upgrading my filter. I currently have a 3 stage filter - pic attached - that has a 5 micron sediment, 5 micron granular carbon and 5 micron carbon block filter. I sent in a water test and found I still have high sodium levels so I was thinking about adding on an RO membrane and coconut carbon filter. I need a total of around 16 gallons on brewday so I would like to be able to fill that amount in preferably less than an hour.
Is adding that on as simple as adding a housing, membrane and inline filer or would I need additional items? i have seen some set ups with pumps and permeate filters etc.
Second is the three stage filter is all 3/4" where most of the RO stuff seems to 1/4" or 1/8". Would a simple adapter from 3/4 to 1/4 work to bridge the two sets of filers?

Also as a side note I noticed at HD they had two different water test kits. One was like $10 and the other somewhere around $20 - definitely cheaper than the $40 from Wards. Anyone used either of those?

View attachment water filter.pdf

View attachment ro membrane housing.pdf

View attachment ro membrance.pdf

IMG_2708.jpg

Reaction score
We're here!

So as you found, a sediment filter and carbon filter (gac or block) will not remove sodium.

In general, sediment filters remove UNdissolved "chunks" of anything (typically sand/silt/etc).
In general, carbon removes organic chemicals, VOCs, pesticides, herbicides, and chlorine and its by-products.

If you want to remove sodium, than yes, RO is the way to go.

Is adding that on as simple as adding a housing, membrane and inline filer or would I need additional items? i have seen some set ups with pumps and permeate filters etc.
I'd get rid of the GAC cartridge - carbon blocks are far superior.
RO membrane, membrane housing, flow restrictor, fittings, tubing... would be about it. And you might want a bracket to pull all your stuff together into a "system."

As far as going for x-inch to y-inch fittings? yes... its all doable.

Most people don't need a booster pump or permeate pump.

Russ

OP
Sidman

Sidman

Reaction score
We're here!

So as you found, a sediment filter and carbon filter (gac or block) will not remove sodium.

In general, sediment filters remove UNdissolved "chunks" of anything (typically sand/silt/etc).
In general, carbon removes organic chemicals, VOCs, pesticides, herbicides, and chlorine and its by-products.

If you want to remove sodium, than yes, RO is the way to go.

I'd get rid of the GAC cartridge - carbon blocks are far superior.
RO membrane, membrane housing, flow restrictor, fittings, tubing... would be about it. And you might want a bracket to pull all your stuff together into a "system."

As far as going for x-inch to y-inch fittings? yes... its all doable.

Most people don't need a booster pump or permeate pump.

Russ
Thanks so much for the help! As far as the carbon block filter would you recommend the same 5 micron or different size? Same question I guess with the sediment - is 1 micron more preferable?
Lastly I am likely to only use this for brewing water. Should I store the filters dry between uses or keep water in them?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Assuming this is municipal water without chloramines, I'd opt for our 1 micron sediment filter, 0.5 micron carbon block.

Store the filters in the system, and you should use any RO system at least once a week.

Russ