Water Chemistry Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dward85

Reaction score
Hi all - this is my first time brewing and adjusting my water chemistry and I'm definitely in need of a little guidance. I will be brewing up an NEIPA. I have attached a copy of my water report, and the additions that BrewFather is suggesting I make. In another thread it was recommended to me to increase the CaCl2 to lower the PH to around 5.3, but when I do that it says "too much chloride" and most of the suggested numbers are off. Can anyone set me straight here? Also, whats the best time to add these minerals? Strike? Mash in? Thanks all.

Attachments

• Water1_20200804.pdf
    85.4 KB · Views: 11
  • BF Water.png
    BF Water.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 12
If you want to lower your mash pH, but don't want to add any more chloride (from CaCl2), you can add Calcium Sulfate (gypsum, CaSO4), or you can add lactic or phosphoric acid.

IMO it's better to dissolve salts in the strike water before mashing in. Then you know they are dissolved.

BTW, your water's SO4 number is actually 12, not 4. Your water report says SO4-S, which means "SO4 as S." SO4 is three times heavier than a sulfur atom (S), so you need to multiply the 4 by 3 = 12.

Last edited:
Back