water Chemistry for all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
I am trying my best to try and find my water chemistry here in Cypress Texas 77429. Can anyone help or give me what I would need to add to my water if I used RO water and be brewing a blonde ale and a robust porter?

If you're starting with RO water, doesn't really matter where you live as the mineral content is going to be negligible. If that's your starting source, I would look here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460

Or, me personally, I would add enough calcium chloride and gypsum to reach >50ppm calcium, and then target maybe 75-80ppm of both sulfate and chloride for both beers. However, you'd need to adjust the mash pH to where you need it to be. For the Blonde, you may need some acid. For the Porter, you may need some alkalinity. However you'd really need a pH meter to be able to do it right. So if you don't want to actually start measuring pH, I would just go with the link since that'll get you good enough.

It appears you missed the suggestions above, and it still holds:

Visit this page and follow the directions:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460

In short, you'll want to dilute your tap water to get the total alkalinity below 30ppm. This means about a 3:1 dilution (RO:tap). You'll also want to then supplement with CaCl3 and possibly CaSO4 (calcium chloride and gypsum respectively). When you add these salts will depend on your mash pH (if your pH is high, adding the salts to the mash will help lower it; if the pH is good without the salts, then just add them to the boil). Again, all of this info is in the thread above, in the first post.

Use a water chemistry calculator like the one one Brewer's Friend (here) and input your tap water numbers, volumes, dilution amount, etc. Also input your grist info, and it will calculate a rough estimate of where your pH will be. If it is too high, add more acid malt and/or the salt additions described in the above thread.

Latest posts

Back