water bottle vs better bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
usually the type of plastic. Better bottles have a 1 on the bottom (PETE) most water bottles I see have a 7 (other). AFIK 1's &2's are the only suitable for fermentation. I do have a local company that uses 1's, but everything I've seen at Wally world and Lowes is a 7.

Type of plastic - Brewers want #1 or #2 type plastics ... water bottlers are usually #7 and are not good for alcohol or fuels like a #1 or #2.

Type of plastic - Brewers want #1 or #2 type plastics ... water bottlers are usually #7 and are not good for alcohol or fuels like a #1 or #2.

I guess many will argue but will 4-6% alcohol really matter? I mean yeah, if you store gasoline or something strong like that you are going to have issues. And even then by the time it is at that level you are ready to remove it, unless maybe you are doing a Brett. Better to be safe than sorry I guess but I really wonder about the intention of that warning. I can't see beer being all that corrosive to be really worried.

Better bottles are not JUST PET. They are PET that is free from alot of the chemicals that are in most other PET bottles. www.better-bottle.com . Well worth it IMO.

Marketing at its best there are only two ingredients in PET .So which one did the makers of the better Bottle leave out? If you add other things it is no longer #1 PET.

"PET stands for polyethylene terephthalate, a plastic resin and a form of polyester. Polyethylene terephthalate is a polymer that is formed by combining two monomers: modified ethylene glycol and purified terephthalic acid"

Sam's carries Monadnick spring water that is in #1 PET but they are only 4 gallons I have a few I use for Apfelwein.

Marketing at its best there are only two ingredients in PET .So which one did the makers of the better Bottle leave out? If you add other things it is no longer #1 PET

Some people seem to think that they're adding all sorts of crazy hazardous chemicals to water bottles, that are used for food, and contain a solvent.

The issue with water bottles is that some of them are oxygen permeable.

As to #7, all that means is "Other", which means it could be PET, and it could be a mixture of something else, but you don't know.

I understand that some are o2 permeable but if you use a #1 PET bottle whether its a BB or a generic water container they are the same.

So to the OP if you run across a #1 or #2 water bottle use it . I wouldn't use any of the other plastics.

So they add chemicals to water bottles that would be harmful if digested?

Its that some plastic water bottles are #7 which can have any # of different plastics in it. There has been some concern with polycarbonate plastic leaching Bisphenol A which has been linked to some serious health issues polycarbonate is used for water and baby bottles .I believe Canada has either banned it or is going to.

I have a #1 5 gallon bottle I got at THD. So far, it works as good as my Better Bottles. It is thinner, and flexes more.

Ethenal Alcohol + wrong plastic = micro-particles entering ingestable liquid. Short term, prob not harmfull, long turn could be bad. Especially when you continue to use the same wrong plastic bottles over and over. For goodness sakes, spend a few more dollars, your going to eat it, make sure your safe. Safety is worth a few more bucks imho.

FWIW, I saw Menards (or Lowes?), had 4 gallon water bottles filled with water for 5 bucks. Not a bad deal.

(and it's "Ethanol" or "Ethyl Alcohol", not "Ethanal Alcohol" :drunk: What microscopic particles does ethanol cause any plastic to degrade into?)

Ethenal Alcohol + wrong plastic = micro-particles entering ingestable liquid. Short term, prob not harmfull, long turn could be bad. Especially when you continue to use the same wrong plastic bottles over and over. For goodness sakes, spend a few more dollars, your going to eat it, make sure your safe. Safety is worth a few more bucks imho.

Any container that is food grade and #1 or #2 are safe to use with beer. I would think a #1 water bottle is food grade.

Marketing at its best there are only two ingredients in PET .So which one did the makers of the better Bottle leave out? If you add other things it is no longer #1 PET.

"PET stands for polyethylene terephthalate, a plastic resin and a form of polyester. Polyethylene terephthalate is a polymer that is formed by combining two monomers: modified ethylene glycol and purified terephthalic acid"

Sam's carries Monadnick spring water that is in #1 PET but they are only 4 gallons I have a few I use for Apfelwein.

thank you for this. I use generic HDPE buckets as my fermenter and i have had people gasp and try to tell me there are all kinds of chemicals in there that will kill me. I always figured the same thing you mention here. if they take something out or add something to it, its not HDPE anymore. the only problem i see with using a PETE water bottle from walmart or some other place, is the majority i find tend to have a handle molded into it.

I use 5 gal. Aqua Spring bottles. They have a triangle on the bottom with a 1 in it. Under the triangle it has PETE. Also on the bottom it says Aquapet. These have a handle and so far have worked fine for me.
At a cost of "free" I will likely keep using these for some time.

We have a water cooler thing from a water place in town and all the 5 gallon bottles that we reuse (go there and fill with RO water) are #1's.

I have a 2.2L bottle on my desk that I fill from our water cooler that says #7 and under that it says Polycarbonate, and under that it says dishwasher safe and a temp range of 14*F-275*F

I will have to look at the 5 gallon bottles to see what else it says on the bottom of them.

Na Zdorovie.

Back