Water bottle as a primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klcramer

Reaction score
If this has been addressed here before I am sorry I used the search function and came across better bottles vs water bottles in the equipment section but still had a question. I found water bottles made from #3 plastic and was wondering if they would be good as a fermenter? I know there has been talk about possible oxidation and was wondering if I only let things sit in them for about a month then rack to a new sterilized bottle if things would be okay? Also with these bottles would they be a single use or could they be cleaned out and re-sanitized? Sorry if this has been discussed before I am new to the wine making process and on a budget so a 5 gallon water bottle at $7.00 sounds better to me at this point. Thanks again. Everyone here is very helpful.

I use water bottles to ferment/age my Apfelwine and have no oxidation problems. I also use them to secondary beer when I need. I reuse them with no problems.

I would only use if I could fine #1 or #2 as all the rest will leach into liquids other than water... With the chemical reaction that goes on with wines and beer I would not trust plastic with any other numbers.
http://pslc.ws/mactest/work/recycle.htm
I only use old frosting buckets (they are only $1 at my local grocery store with the gasketed lids)for primary and glass for secondary. I am one of those plasticphobes tho.
There are other good threads with the total information on the different types of numbers but I can't seem to get them to come up on a search either..:confused:

If you look at the bottom of this page, "related topics" come up. Maybe they could be of some help, if you're still searching for information.

I use plastic pails (food safe) as Emerald does, for primary. My wines are in primary usually 5-7 days and the pails make it easier to stir the wine and remove the fruit before racking into a carboy. I probably wouldn't use a plastic water jug, but it probably won't hurt you.

Yeah my bottle is number 7 (other)I am not worried about leeching into my beer. Not to say it dosen't happen and the acidic nature of beer may speed up the process but I dont think it leaches nearly as fast as we have been led to believe and im not going to worry myself with it. We are far more careless on far more dangerous activities than drinking out of a bottle. :)

Back