Water and honey proportions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhettoDickens

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I use the GotMead calculator and after making my first batch, I have a question. I feel like it is a really stupid question, but for some reason I can't work this on out on my own:

When it asks for volume, that is the total volume including honey right? So if I put in 1 gal as the volume (because I have a 1 gal jug) that will include the 2.5 lbs of honey I locked in, and thus I will use less than 1 gallon of water. Right?

OR

Is the volume just the water volume, and than you have to take into consideration how much volume the honey takes up?

Sorry if this is stupidly stupid :drunk:

Cheers!

When I use the calc I consider the volume to be the final volume after all additions. Sooooooooo...........for a gallon batch approximately 3 lbs honey and 3 qts water should make a gallon.......of course this leaves you with 0 headspace.

When I use the calc I consider the volume to be the final volume after all additions. Sooooooooo...........for a gallon batch approximately 3 lbs honey and 3 qts water should make a gallon.......of course this leaves you with 0 headspace.

So this ratio is 1lb honey to 1qt water, what would the ABV be on this?

Back