water and fb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildjack6

Reaction score
I recently went from cooler and braid to keggle with 15" false bottom when mixing grain's at 1.25 as usual with braid mash seem's 3 time's thicker do you usually ad additional water to make up for the space lost under the false bottom or will it work out with recirculation

Yes, add additional water for the space under the false bottom. You can also use the same braided hose system on your keggle if you want, I've found it much easier to use.
mark
Beer Diary...

Shoot for 1.3 qt/lb ratio. That should get it thin enough for you. When you drain the MLT, the dead space water will be returned to the top during your vorlauf.

I used to mash at 1.25 qt/lb with the cooler/braid. When I went to keg with full fb, I stuck with 1.25qt/lb but then added exactly 1 gallon more. The space under my FB take 7/8ths of a gallon.

From a enzymatic dilution standpoint, your ratio is the literal water to grist ratio. From a mechanical (stirability) perspective, it's the total water minus the deadspace.

thank's much I was kind of wandering I ended up running about an extra gallon and it looked about right lol thank's for the help

Back