Water Analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhah

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First-time poster, long-time viewer. I recently transitioned to AG and decided it would be a good idea to at least get my water checked with Ward Labs even though I haven't noticed any major off-flavors in the beer that I have made thus far using my tap water. Most everyone here knows more than me so I would greatly appreciate any input you all may have on my water analysis report that I just received. It should be attached to this post unless I did something wrong. Thanks for any help!

On a side note, this forum has been a tremendous resource for me in this new hobby and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for providing such great information. I can't count the number of times I panicked about something midway through a brew day and was able to find a quick answer to my exact question through these forums.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

View attachment Water.pdf

I just started learning about and adjusting my water, but it looked pretty good to me. Everything looked to be at pretty low levels (especially your calcium) so you should just be able to add salts to get to your desired mineral content. You shouldn't have to worry about diluting which is good. And your alkalinity is low which is also good. I would just add calcium chloride and gypsum to get the calcium, sulfate, and chloride levels to where they need to be depending on the beer.

I believe the sulfate level they give in the Ward tests needs to be multiplied by 3 to give you the number that brewers use (but don't quote me on that).

Just plug those numbers into one of the calculators (I use Kaiser's calculator on Brewer's Friend but there's also Bru'n Water and EZ Water) along with your grainbill and whatever else they ask for and you should be able to figure out how much of whatever salts you need.

That water is nearly RO quality. You can easily use the recommendations provided in the Water Primer sticky in the Brewing Science forum.

Okay, great - I will check out the water primer sticky as well as one of the online calculators. Thanks for the responses!

Back