Water Analysis Analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redawg77

Reaction score
Hi folks... My family recently had a well dug at a rural property that they own. I figured I'd run it through a Ward Labs analysis to see if it's suitable. I'm a moderately experienced brewer. However, I have been in a drought of late (2+ years) due to lots of young kids running around. I've just gotten back into it with a couple of extract kits just to see if I remember the basics.

Now that I'm getting ready to dive back into AG, I realize I've completely forgotten most of everything to do w/ water chemistry. Could some of you more experienced brewers take a look and give me a thumbnail on what I could expect if I, say, were to try and brew an APA using exclusively this water source? Thanks in advance!

Sample ID : 1

pH 5.3
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 17
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.03
Cations / Anions, me/L 0.2 / < 0.1

ppm
Sodium, Na 2
Potassium, K < 1
Calcium, Ca 1
Magnesium, Mg < 1
Total Hardness, CaCO3 7
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.3 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S < 1
Chloride, Cl 2
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 < 1
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 < 1
Total Phosphorus, P 0.01
Total Iron, Fe 0.05

you may not be. There has been significant rainfall here in NE Florida lately. I waited about a week after last rain before taking sample, but probably got a bit antsy.

That is some soft water right there. I would imagine you would have a ton of pH issues with that and your flavors will be bland. You will surely need to add salts depending upon the beer you brew. For an APA you will need lots of sulfates for the hops bitterness. I suggest getting a copy of bru'n water so you could see the levels you need and how much of the salts you will need for this.

I guess if the well water filters through mostly sand in Florida then it would be lacking in minerals, some calcium chloride and gypsum to round out the minerals and you'll be good to go, and i second using bru'n water

That is some soft water right there. I would imagine you would have a ton of pH issues with that and your flavors will be bland. You will surely need to add salts depending upon the beer you brew. For an APA you will need lots of sulfates for the hops bitterness. I suggest getting a copy of bru'n water so you could see the levels you need and how much of the salts you will need for this.

Thanks, will definitely be downloading this when I get home. I still have some additions in my 'brewing supply bin'. Time to take inventory and see what I need to order when I order my supplies for the next batch.

Wow! That's as good as a lot of people's RO water. Add half a tsp of CaCl2 to each 5 gal and a percent or 2 sauermalz and you are ready to brew. When tasting the beer experiment with addition of some gypsum to see if you think it improves the flavor and if so use it next time you brew.

Yep, that's rain water. That must be a pretty shallow well, probably jetted down into the surficial sand. As long as you aren't getting any sulfurous aroma off the water, its good to go. You will need to add alkalinity when brewing darker beers or they will tend to come out with an acrid roast flavor.

Back