Water Adjustments - Using Distilled Water and Salts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubby

Reaction score
In EZWaterCalculator the 'Mash + Sparge Water Profile' seems to be unaffected by the sparge water if I set the sparge water to 100% distilled or RO water.

For example, 3.125 gal strike water 100% distilled with 5g calcium gives a calcium ppm of 115. If I then enter 3.375 gal sparge 100% distilled or RO the 'Mash + Sparge Water Profile' calcium ppm is unaffected. I would expect this value to be less than half it was with only the adjusted strike water when I add the distilled sparge water. If I set the sparge water to 0% distilled water it adds my city profile water numbers and drives up the ion ppms, but it doesn't decrease them to less than the adjusted mash if I set sparge to 100% distilled. I expected a dilution to occur.

I may well be missing something.

View attachment 573021

Below is what I would expect the ppm results in EZ Water Calc to be for a total of 6.5gal (Mash + Sparge Water Profile) with the same quantity of salt adjustments:

View attachment 573022

I'm trying to figure out if I need to add salts to distilled sparge water as well. My mash water looks good to me with the adjustments, but wouldn't the distilled sparge water dilute my profile? The numbers from beersmith aren't that favorable with only 7g of salts as shown in both calculations. My gut feel is I would need to make the same/similar adjustments to my sparge water as I would the strike.

Cant view the images. There is a lock and it says I don’t have permission. I think you posted them wrong or the app messed up. Happened to me once.

Beersmith.PNG
easycalc.PNG

I was just overlooking the "Adjusting Sparge Water" check boxes........:smh:

Back