Water Adjustments- Salts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some water salts and research what I need to add to RO water to get the right mineral mix for making hoppy ales. I have no idea what I really need to get, and how much I will need.

Burton Water Salts
Calcium Chloride
Calcium Carbonate
Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate)
Gypsum (Calcium Sulphate)

Any missing? Do I need all of these?

How much do you typically use? I see these selling as 1 or 2 ozs packs, but you can buy 1 lb packs for only a little more. If you use a lot, obviously the lb pack is worth it, but I don't know how much is required; for all I know an ounce or two could last a dozen or more beers.

As far as "how much do you use" - gypsum would be the thing you would use the most for hoppy beers. You could use up to 10-15 grams (for 5 gallon mash and 5 gallons sparge water) in a hoppy IPA. So, a few ounces goes quite a ways. You will use less of the other two.

Thanks, I plan to use a calculator. I think there is one in BeerSmith, but it seems people are recommending others.

I guess it will be a pound of Gypsum. I think 2 ozs is $1.09, and a pound is $2.89. Seems like a no-brainer really, but if I would't use more than an ounce in a year, then it would be worthless.

I'll play with a calculator and see what it produces. Thought I'd get quick input from some who have spent time working their water profiles.

Gypsum, CaCl, and Epsom. You'll use no more than a gram or few per brew. A pound will last a long time, but it doesn't go bad if stored in a sealed container (dry, cool, etc.). Also get some lactic acid in a small bottle.

I stick to gypsum and CaCl mainly. Bru'n Water is a great tool for mineral additions and figuring mash pH, especially when using RO water. There is a slight learning curve, but after playing around with it for an hour or two, you should have a good concept.

Back