Water Additions HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INeedANewHobby

Reaction score
I am brewing a California Common tomorrow, and using plain RO water. Any ideas for my brewing salt additions??? From designing great beers, my goal profile is:

Calcium: 36ppm
Magnesium: 25ppm
Sodium: 17ppm
Carbonate: 80ppm
Chloride: 26ppm
Sulfate: 20ppm

So it's rather plain/soft water. Thought or suggestions?! I don't really know when and how much of what to add. Thanks in advance!

You want quick & dirty? Add 1/2 tsp each of calcium sulphate, calcium chloride and calcium carbonate plus 1/4 tsp magnesium sulphate for a five gallon batch. You won't hit those numbers and frankly I don't see how you could anyway but those ppm are relatively small so as long as you get some calcium in there as well as some of those ions along for the ride you should be just fine. :mug:

Those are all pretty low values, so you could probably safely ignore most of them and still make good beer.

I shoot for at least 50ppm Ca if just for yeast health. All I add is CaSO4 and CaCl2 -- leaning more toward CaCl2 for malty beers, gypsum for hoppy. It ends up being on the order of half a gram per gallon.

I add salts in the HLT and stir it up before drawing off the liquor. I've read that they should be added directly to the mash, but I want my sparge pH lowered by the Ca.

Back